♚〡Prologue

The Romanovs have a secret.

They amassed riches through multiple business pursuits. Their legacy was the royal crown of Russia in the late 17th century. Isobel Petrovic of Romania married Tzar Adriano Romanov of Russia, and for a time, they were happy. Having an arranged marriage did not phase them; they learned how to love each other. Adriano loved Isobel dearly, and she him, but slowly his temperate disposition became hostile. Day by day he became further unhinged. One day, he shifted in front of Isobel. Unlike her, he was not surprised; his family had known about their curse for decades and kept it hidden as well as they could.

His hand flew across her face after an argument, leaving her bruised and battered. He became increasingly abusive, but Isobel's job was to accept and maintain the alliance between her country and his.

She fulfilled her duty valiantly and with grace. At night she would get lashings, and in the day she would be his loving and doting wife. She loved herself and she knew that her treatment was not acceptable, but she loved her country more. She felt trapped by social standards and expectations.

The Romanovs have a secret.

His family knew of their lineage. Aleczandar, Adriano's father, knew that every full moon his children would shift into ferocious beasts. Their backs would break, their toes would turn into claws, their faces would contort in pain, and then finally into their true wolf forms. It was a secret that Aleczandar found his true mate- a princess from Greece -and loved her dearly. She fulfilled his political duty and his carnal need. She calmed him when he would lash out. She embraced him when he was falling. She was the manifestation of beauty to him. She was exactly what his wolf longed for. He assumed his son would find the same solace in the wife that was chosen for him.

Aleczandar had found his soulmate. Adriano had as well, but she was a washmaid, and he had not consummated their bond.

Every wolf is born with a mate. A mate civilized the primal wolf deep within. A mate forms the connection between man and wolf. The longer a wolf lives without their mate, the more feral their wolves become. After many centuries, The Romanovs finally understood their other halves, but it was too late. Adriano, in a fit of rage, tore into his doting wife. He was executed, leaving their only son to claim the throne.

King Alpha Adlaric Romanov has a secret; he's over three centuries old and his control was diminishing.