Chapter Forty-One

Y/n's pov

My body willed itself faster as I sprinted down the old path. Uncontrolled anger swirled around my mind only driving me faster. It's been about twenty minutes since I left, my guts telling me they already know. I had no clue where I'm going but I know it's away from here.

Eventually I skidded to a stop panting heavily, I pulled my backpack off and open and pulled out a wrinkled map showing the forest trails. I examined it for a few seconds then slung the bag back in its place and took off once more.

Now I've been out for about sixteen hours. It's getting dark again and regret and anger held my thoughts captive as I neared the end of the path, the shade of the trees not helping my drowsiness I pushed past the last of the brush letting the light from the setting sun blind me for a few seconds. I looked at my surrounding, my eyes landed on a small ditch about five or six feet deep with something catching the orange light.

I walked over and knelt down examining it closer. My eyes lit up as I identified the piece of metal as my old bike I used to ride here. I fished it out and sat it up right. It was severely rusted and the brakes didn't appear to function anymore, but it'll work. I quickly mounted the bike and pushed my foot down making the bike squeak a little, but hey it moved. Eventually I was practically flying down the street, a destination finally clear in my mind.

I turned my front wheel screeching to a stop. I pushed myself off before it came to a stop and looked at what used to be my house. The structure of the building was still there but it was hollow and bare, giving it an eerie atmosphere.

I made my way around the house examining it until my eyes rested on the shed, it was still in one piece and didn't catch fire. Vines covered it making it look like it grew out of the earth itself. I walked over and flung open the door wanting to see more of it. Spiderwebs covered nearly every surface making the dust clump and dead insects paint the walls. I scanned the room until my eyes caught something faded red. I focused on it an walked over, recognizing it as a few tanks of gasoline. The small shed also held some tools hanging on the walls and a few other pieces of equipment. I took note and walked back towards the back door of the house. I pushed it open without effort.

The inside was the same as the outside empty and almost complete ash. The damage was clearly unfixable, windows burst for overheat, floor boards would crack and break under every step, and black ash covered every surface. I coughed a few times and took off my mask shoving it into my backpack and covered my mouth refraining from inhaling the scent.

I slowly made my way towards the kitchen seeing the absolute destruction and chaos I created. I walked through the room, I scanned the damage, the cabinets hanging off their hinges and floors covered in debris. The happiness in my heart turned to regret, I did this all for my second chance, the one Hoodie gifted me after saving my life. And I didn't even say goodbye...

My mind flashed back to the events leading me to fail him and run away. My mind clouded with anger and embarrassment again as I remembered the mansions residents invading my privacy and looking at my face. Taking one of the only things I hold dear to my now cold heart. I had enough of looking at the aftermath and trotted to the back door wanting to get out my anger in the best way that I knew how.

I threw open the shed doors and quickly pulled my mask out of my bag slipping it on. I hurried over to the tanks of gasoline and picked up three balancing one in between the others. I swiftly climbed back on my bike slipping the tank holder holes on the handlebars as a makeshift holder and took off showering the grass and trees with the fluid from the plastic container. A few people out past dark saw me and yelled for me to stop, only driving me to go faster. An unsettling smile played on my lips as I poured the last of the third tank out. I heard the sound of distant sirens, no doubt from someone who saw what I'm doing. I dug through my bag producing a small dark green lighter. I chuckled lowly than held out the small piece of metal, than dropping the heated flame into the liquid.