Chapter Five | Caught

Profile

Name: Gabriel Kiel
Contract Type: Elite

Age: 28 [Expand]

Stage: [Tutorial Series]
Completion Rate: ???

Voice Assistance: Deactivated

Shop [Locked] | Communication [Locked] | Saved Items [None]

***

Gabriel stood tiredly behind the counter with a grey and smelly uniform on. His eyes scanned the rows upon rows of shelves with food items arranged neatly upon them; unless an asshole customer had disturbed the arrangement again. He could spot a few people walking amongst the lanes, picking packed items and putting them in their trolleys. He sighed as the same boring music blasted through the speakers overhead; he was tired of listening to the same piece of garbage again and again.

He rolled his eyes when a child's scream filled the room and he eyed the corner it came from. A tired and rugged looking woman glared down at her son with fury swimming in her eyes. He couldn't hear what she was saying as her voice was levelled, but her devil of a child was clearly audible as he screamed again, "No, I want it!"

The mother bent down to pull her son's cheek, her eyes narrowed and in slits, she furiously muttered something to the child. The boy fired a few words back - stubborn but clearly weaker; he was too intimidated by his mother now. Gabriel sighed in relief that things had calmed down because it was him who would have to hear the complaint of other customers. He turned away to watch the screen of the television which was distant and mute, but it was the only source of entertainment he had there. His relief was short-lived, however, as another scream pierced through the dim atmosphere of the convenience store.

An old woman, possibly in her late eighties, was practically screeching as she berated her old husband. It was a common sight to see the old couple fighting at the smallest of things. Gabriel groaned and turned away from the scene to look at the TV again, bracing himself for all the snarky comments he would be receiving later. The lights above him flickered, and he glanced up for the umpteenth time to eye the broken tile; he was sure it would fall off someday.

The convenience store he was working at was in a rundown part of a metropolitan city. Only the poorest of people lived in this area, and likewise, the store was visited by them. Gabriel was surprised that this place even had items to sell. The owner was an old woman who basically lived in the staff-only room and hated his existence. She loved to point out the fact that he was a high-school dropout, how he was scrawny and ugly, and how he didn't have a girlfriend. Even though it wasn't really him she was talking about, it pissed him off. But he couldn't say anything because he had to work and she was his boss.

Tutorial #13
World Status: ONGOING

Main Task: Work for over 11 months at The Dime.

Failure will result in adequate punishment. Best wishes.

View Profile

The horrible show airing on the TV ended, and Gabriel sighed in disappointment. He clicked his tongue and turned picked up the dirty cloth lying on the side. After moving around the counter, he went to the glass doors and began wiping it just to stay occupied. Through the glass, he saw the familiar sight of a young woman walking towards the store hurriedly and for the first time that evening, Gabriel smiled.