icarus . . .

"Beauty is terror

"Beauty is terror.
Whatever we call beautiful, we quiver before it.
And what could be more terrifying and beautiful, to souls like the Greeks or our own, than to lose control completely?"

― donna tartt, secret history.

ALASKA GILBERT WAS ONCE A HOUSEHOLD NAME IN THE QUAINT TOWN OF MYSTIC FALLS. You didn't have to be friends with the effervescent brunette to hear all about her. She was the resident golden girl. A dedicated daughter, an academic prodigy and the mitigator of every callous affliction thrown at her loved ones- a girl composed of soft compromises and a heart as big as the moon.

With her long chestnut locks and a saccharine smile that was brighter than life itself⁠⁠- it was no wonder how she hopped to the top of the social pyramid. She didn't crawl. That action was too far beneath her. She had spun herself a crown of gold, and it was handed to her on a silver platter.

Luminescence personified, lips dripping off the purest forms of honey― Alaska was alive in spirit, inebriated with the transient idea of an iron grip on the social order. In the high school social hierarchy, people like her always, indisputably sat at the top.

From the boyfriend that everyone fawned over to the loving family and friends who gave her endless support, everything about the bright eyed girl's life looked like the zenith of perfection. Alaska Gilbert had built herself a fairytale kingdom. It was safe to say that she was living the American dream.

She told of a pristine life, dusted in gold and plated in silver.

She was happy.

Keyword: was.

Because like a crystal vase falling onto the marble floor, her once seemingly indestructible kingdom came crumbling down to a thousand pieces on the fateful night of May 29, 2009. A hazardous weather, a ditched family-night and succession of terrible choices made by four individuals led to a tragic car crash, where only Alaska and her twin sister came out unscathed.