Chapter Twenty-Seven: Matchmaker

Nereus' fate had been sealed

Nereus' fate had been sealed. His judgment would take place in a few days, after the council and Arthur had come to an agreement. Not that this prolonged delay would have any effect on the outcome at all. Nereus was to be executed, nothing could stop that now. Not even her own pleadings with Arthur. She had even suggested to the entire council that showing mercy might send a stronger message than killing him would, but everyone had simply looked at her as if she were some ignorant child that had been sheltered from the world. Only Arthur seemed to understand her view, and was fighting tirelessly to convince the council that exile was a more suitable punishment than death.

Camille had just made it to the castle, hoping to hear the outcome of that day's conference, but instead heard excitable whispers coming from a room she'd never ventured into before. Her brown eyes darted around the foreign area, examining as much as the helmet's window would allow. It was just as large as any other room in the palace, but full of old artistry and plentiful plates of seafood. Right in the centre stood a row of women, all neatly draped in the highest calibre of clothing to be found in the seven seas. It didn't take a genius to deduct that they were all from noble families, some were probably even royalty.

The king's council members were observing them, along with the very familiar She form of Mera. Upon seeing the red-head Camille floated further into the room, grabbing her attention almost immediately. The Atlantean swam to her side, appearing slightly grateful for the distraction.

"What's going on in here?" Camille asked curiously. The question alone was enough to make Mera sigh in exasperation.

"Since the last royal pairing was...unsuccessful, the council is in the process of assessing the other suitors presenting themselves to King Arthur." She said, directing towards the group of young hopefuls. "They'll see them over before Arthur selects a worthy bride."

Camille's heart sunk. She knew this would happen eventually, but never suspected that it'd be so soon. The momentary dejection that flashed across her face didn't go unnoticed by Mera. It was at this moment when she finally seemed to realise exactly what was going on. "Wait...you and Arthur?"

A loud hush hissed passed Camille's gritting teeth. "Not so loud...!"

Mera's lips tightened into a thin line, struggling to keep her initial surprise at bay. It was obvious that they had been fond of each other for a while, but she hadn't expected Arthur to ever let his guard down for long enough to let her in. Especially not in the midst of his own betrothal. She supposed that it shouldn't have surprised her; Arthur had never been particularly skilled when it came to timing.

"I'm sorry." Mera finally found her voice again. "This must be difficult for you."

Camille shrugged, trying to seem less affected than she actually was. "I knew that this was gonna happen at some stage. It's fine."

Mera wasn't gullible enough to actually believe the human's words, but Camille wasn't the type of person to break down over something like this. Mera was certain that to keep pressing the subject would only result in the lingering uncomfortableness growing but she simply couldn't help herself. "I personally think that you'd make a better queen than any of them."