Neverseen, Chapter 75

Keefe nodded, but his eyes strayed to the sun, like he was checking the time.

"Do you need to be somewhere?" Sophie asked.

"Still worrying about me, I see," he said. "I guess it's good to know the Mysterious Miss F. hasn't gotten sick of me yet."

"I'll never get sick of you, Keefe."

"We'll see."

———

He reached into his pocket and handed her a small blue-velvet pouch. "By the way, um . . . this is for you."

Sophie's cheeks warmed, despite the biting cold. And when she poured the pouch's contents into her palm, she found a long necklace, each bead painted with a different flower.
...
"Aren't you going to put that on?" he asked, changing the subject.

The beads felt cool on her skin as she slipped the necklace over her head. "How does it look?"

Keefe's smile looked more sad than happy. She wanted to ask if he was okay, but she could see Edaline giving her one of those isn't that the CUTEST? smiles straight out of every teenager's nightmares.

"Thanks," she mumbled, tucking her hair behind her ears. "It's really beautiful."

Keefe shrugged. "It's nice to see someone finally wearing it."

"Well, you'll be seeing a lot of it. I'm going to wear it every day." She hoped that would earn her a smile.

———

Sophie reached for Keefe's hand, needing his support as she stared into the faces of the twelve Councillors and said, "I want you to set Silveny and Greyfell free."