Many Happy Returns

Wednesday was market day in the park beside Evelyn's office. She got out of the small space to take a walk around the green space most days, but she'd emerge without fail on Wednesdays to get lunch from the sandwich stall.

On this day, Eve felt more free than she had in a year. The air smelled crisp, an omen of winter. Being in the midst of her favorite season put her in a good mood, but her happiness felt emptier without Sherlock. She grew more accustomed to the pain in her chest with each day that passed, but it would always hurt.

Evelyn took an unhurried loop around the stalls, stopping to buy two warm mugs of tea and  bunch of orange chrysanthemums for her desk before ending up at her favorite stall.

Andrew Clarke owned a small sandwich shop in Piccadilly, but set up a smaller stall every Wednesday to get word out about his restaurant in different parts of the city. Over the months of working at MI6, Eve had befriended the small business owner with the kind smile.

"Hello, Andrew." Evelyn greeted.

She handed him the second mug of tea. "You look like you need something cozy out here in this chill."

Andrew laughed in surprise. "Thank you. I was just thinking how much I wanted a cuppa. Are you sure you aren't telepathic?"

"I'll never tell." She said.

"Yes, of course." Andrew grinned. "Must keep me interested with that air of mystery."

"So what are you tempting me with today, Andrew?" Eve asked.

"The usuals, of course, but I did have something special in mind for you." He said. "In honor of your American background and the turn towards the cold, I'd recommend the grilled cheese."

"Now you're the one reading my mind! That's perfect!" Evelyn said.

"Coming right up." Andrew said.

Eve cradled her cup of tea in both hands while she looked at the chilly sunlight glinting off of the buildings nearby.

"Your grilled cheese, m'lady." Andrew said.

"Thank you ever so much." Evelyn accepted the package with a grin.

Eve reached for her wallet, but Andrew waved her off.

"This one's on me." He said.

"Andrew..."

"No, I insist." Andrew said. "Getting to see you today, looking so beautiful, is payment enough."

He scratched the back of his head, growing sheepish at the successful delivery of that line. Evelyn felt her cheeks grow hot. She looked down at her shoes.

"Oh. Thanks, Andrew." She said. "It's, um, it's always lovely to see you as well."

Before he could respond, Eve gave him an awkward wave and a smile that was a bit too wide. She gathered her tea and sandwich and flowers and scurried back to the headquarters.

Several stories up, Mycroft watched the interaction from his office window. He pushed any lingering concern about the body language between Evelyn hat sandwich man, but silently reminded himself to observe them again the next Wednesday.

--------------

Weeks turned into months as Eve steadily dismantled Dr. Bradley's drug network, John and Mary fell ever deeper in love, and the weather grew colder.

Evelyn's birthday arrived with a large group of friends and heap of cheer. 221B Baker Street was full to the brim on the eve of her 29th year. Molly and Tom stood together by the mantle; Mary sat in John's chair and sipped her drink while John perched on the arm and made her laugh; Lestrade and Mrs. Hudson chatted amiably in the kitchen doorway. John and Mary's friends from the clinic and some old friends from the CSI department at the yard mingled in the flat. Even Mycroft joined the festivities, sitting on the sofa and pretending to be bored.