- minor errors, major feelings -

i'm just gonna leave this here.

IT TOOK TWO DAYS, but Natasha had convinced Bucky and Steve that Elenora and Connor did not need a babysitter

So Elenora and Connor were at the house, alone and safe, and totally, totally not planning to sneak out.

Well, Connor wasn't- he might have been, if he had anywhere to go and, well, wasn't deathly afraid of disappointing the two idols that took him in. No, he wasn't risking anything and was completely satisfied with sitting on a very comfortable bed and reading another history book that Steve introduced him to.

Elenora, on the other hand, had very different plans.

Peter hadn't stopped texting her, probably because Tony wouldn't give him any details and he was way too scared of Steve or Bucky to ask why their daughter suddenly fell off the grid. Though she'd never say it out loud, Elenora was starting to miss him, and she knew that a text, after all this time, wouldn't be enough to explain; she was going on patrol.

But first, she had to make sure all her bases were covered.

When Connor first heard a knock at his door, he was genuinely surprised; someone knocking on the door? This wasn't even his house. Or his room. In fact, besides the clothes on his body, nothing in this house belonged to him. Nevertheless, Connor said, "Come in."

Peeping her head around the door frame, Elenora met Connor's questioning stare- don't worry, dude, I don't have a single clue either.

Slipping in shyly, Elenora shut the door behind her as if nervous someone would hear the conversation.

(Which they wouldn't- no one was home to.)

"Hey, Connor," Elenora said, her voice soft as she offered a small smile before pressing her back against the door. Now, Connor was getting more suspicious; he'd never seen Elenora act so strangely before, and most certainly not in her own house.

Whatever was going on, it was enough to make Connor straighten from his slouched position, and hold his back against the bed frame, lowering his book in the slightest. "Hey," he answered back.

Now, Elenora was just trying to figure out how to get the words out of her mouth.

Come on, El, you practiced this! Just say it!

Elenora blurted out, "I'm going to try on my entire wardrobe."

At this point, she had Connor's full attention; the book in his hands took its place in his lap and his head tilted. "What?"

This is not what you said in the mirror! she chided herself, trying to think of a recovery point, but judging by the look on Connor's face, there were no returning-she'd have to build off of it. "I'm going through my wardrobe," she retried, then gave her lie purpose- just like Natasha taught her. " To see what clothes don't fit me." Still, Connor was struggling to see why this involved him. "The point is, don't come in my bedroom. My door will be locked. And I might not be dressed."