Shut Up And Stay

So, this one is also in my KOTLC Oneshots, so yeah

I could hear Sophie's voice as she hailed her friends, telling them to come over quick. I could hear the elation, the surprise, the fear in her words. But it was like it was coming from underwater, as if the shadows I stood in were muffling the sound.

One by one, Sophie called the others to Havenfield. The leaping crystal felt slick in my hand--but whether it was blood or sweat, I wasn't sure.

I had fought to escape. Fought hard, and with everything I had, destroying whatever trust I had managed to gain. The Neverseen said they were coming to hurt Linh. They didn't like how disobedient I had been, how stubborn and unwilling to do what they asked. Things that went against everything I stood for, against everything my sister and I had learned--stay safe, stay strong, and never let go of what you believe in.

I didn't even realize how hard I was trying to disappear until Sophie called my name.

I shouldn't have been that afraid. What was I even scared of? Even if I thought about it, my mind was blank. Something hurt, but I wasn't sure what. All that mattered was Linh, and what would happen when she saw me.

I'd come back to protect her, just like I'd always vowed to do. No matter how much they hurt me, no matter how much they tortured me, they couldn't keep me away. I didn't trust Sophie to be able to take care of my sister--she was too caught up in her own problems. I only trusted myself, because I couldn't handle blaming my friends if something went wrong.

One by one, Sophie's friends appeared, staring at me with such a mix of emotions it was dizzying to look at.

Joy. Shock. Concern, hope, fear and uncertainty and a dozen others that I couldn't even name. I felt the weight of their gazes, and had a sudden flashback of when Keefe had come back from the Neverseen. He'd hurt a lot of people, but I wasn't sure that was the case for me. Why had I defended him? Because I had envisioned this exact scenario, and imagined how much it would hurt if no one wanted me back.

But Keefe had Sophie, and if I was lucky, I had Linh. I would get through this.

And then she was there. Staring at me in disbelief, her silver eyes filled with so much hope and relief that it spilled over in tears. But she didn't move. She simply stood there, lowering her leaping crystal like she was afraid that if she made any sudden movements I would disappear.

Finally, I couldn't stand it any longer. "Linh--"

And her arms were around me, her face buried in my shoulder as her tears soaked my shirt. I did the same, holding her up in a way that was all too familiar to me. Memories of long nights in our room, the only sounds the distant waves and Linh crying into me as everything our parents had told her came to the surface. And with a pang that felt like a knife, I realized I'd hurt her just as badly.

"You're back," she whispered, pulling away and wiping away her tears. "And you're...you're bleeding."

I looked down at my arm, where red was dripping down from a deep gash and coating the leaping crystal I had stolen. So it was blood.

Linh, I'm so sorry," I said, unable to hold it back any longer. My words came out in a rush, everything I wanted to say blending together in an emotional current. "I'm sorry I left, I never wanted to. But they threatened to hurt you, and I couldn't live with myself if you suffered because of me. I'm sorry I hurt you, I'm sorry I left when I promised I'd always be by your side. I'm so sorry, and I understand of you don't need me anymore--"

Her arms were around me again, pulling me close. Her voice was soft, and filled with love as she whispered, "Just shut up and stay."

And then, the attack began.