Chapter Forty-Six | Second World

[ 46 ]

Ever since Hisaya had come to this second world, he had indulged himself in everything that it had to offer. For most, it was the chocolates, but he also enjoyed the many varieties of wines. Which, at this type of event, didn't fall short in quality. But although he drank every now and then, he didn't have a great tolerance to it. Which was why, when tray-after-tray containing the tempting beverage, kept being offered to him, he had to decline.

Sticking with the same glass he had been sipping at for the past hour.

He was able to easily join conversations, recognising all the faces that Yoshiaki had helped him memorise. For most, the conversations were light and didn't sound like sales-pitches. Hisaya was glad, that the people who had been selected for him to become friendly with, were genuinely inspired by their work, and in no way wearing masks.

When he first approached people, he could see their slight hesitations around him. No doubt Hiromasa's name was looming in the back of their minds. But when he started speaking, conveying how passionately he felt about his charity, the businessmen and women's faces lightened up and they happily nattered on. Even if Hisaya didn't get any certain deal that evening, he would still try to leave a good impression.

Which was easy to do, as all he had to do was listen. Tales upon tales were told by company owners and charity owners, and by the end of each conversation, questions were put to Hisaya. Ones that could be perceived as intrusive, but ones he happily answered. His determination for the success of his new charity stemmed from his upbringing, which is a point every person he spoke to, accepted warmly.

Kazuki Hiromasa wore a pristine suit which hugged his frame. He stood out amongst the men and women around him, more often than not it was women who were flocking to talk to him. The man, from what Hisaya spotted, had no reservations and seemed to dominate the room. He spoke casually to very wealthy individuals, showcasing his familiarity with them, and never once suppressed his laughs.

The man clearly had no such worries about his appearance. And thankfully, Hisaya had managed to avoid him. It wasn't purposeful, he wouldn't give the man the opportunity of thinking he was avoiding him. No, this was predicted because Hisaya and his team intended to target potential business partners who have no current ties with the corrupt man. But it was inevitable that they would eventually meet, and that was seemingly what others were thinking as they watched the two gradually get closer and closer out of their side-eye.

"Hisaya, so you made it." Hiromasa interrupted him whilst he was talking to someone else. Hisaya masked his glare as he looked over his shoulder to see the Alpha standing right behind him. The way he stood, as per usual, was in such a way that he could look down at him. And although Hisaya knew he wasn't the tallest, he found the position ridiculous.

And a little overbearing.

Excusing himself from his earlier conversation, Hisaya turned to face the man. "Well it would have been rude of me to turn down an invitation."

Due to the sheer size of the ballroom where the event was being hosted, there was no need for everyone to crowd around each other, so unfortunately the two of them were out of hearing-range of the nearest people.

Which proved advantageous for Hiromasa, who didn't bother to mask his abhorrent personality around Hisaya anymore. "I thought you would be here as someone's plus-one, if I'm honest. Just like the rest of the Omegas- if there are any in here." He brought up his glass, taking a sip to hide his smirk.

"Unlike you, I'm here for a genuine reason."

"And I'm not? You should be thanking me, I have the best charity of all, and for Omegas no less." He bragged, his face showing a smile which conflicted with what he was saying.