59

ARIA'S BLUE EYES flutter open as she bolts upright, her eyes darting over towards the ticking clock

ARIA'S BLUE EYES flutter open as she bolts upright, her eyes darting over towards the ticking clock. Was everything just a dream? Did she just imagine the world going to shit or? Looking over towards the wide window, her heart drops. No, it wasn't a dream, the world did end. A pain soars through her back and tears prick in her eyes as she swings her legs over the bed, her feet touching the ground. Even with socks on, she can still feel the cold tile. Blinking the tears away, she stands to her feet, her legs trembling slightly.

The door slowly opens and Aria takes a step back, her eyes staring intently at the door as a man and a police officer steps through. Staying quiet, she swallows harshly, her mouth dry. The man dressed as a doctor steps forward, a gentle look in his eyes. "I'm Dr. Steven Edwards. One of our police officers had accidentally ran you over, they had mistaken you for a rotter." Just my luck—i got ran over. Continuing to stay silent, Aria lowers her eyes, her tongue running over her dry lips. She doesn't know these people, she just wants to be back with the group. "We fixed you—stitched you up and healed your back as good as we could. It's your turn to owe us."

Aria's head snaps up, her eyebrows raising in alarm. Owe them? This lady's officer friend had ran Aria over, why does Aria owe them? That doesn't sound like a fair deal. Slightly narrowing her eyes, the door opens again and in walks the girl Aria was planning to look for; Beth. The two females hide the shock until the two strangers walk out, closing the door behind them. Aria walks forward, her arms gently wrapping around Beth in a comforting embrace. "Are you okay?" She whispers, pulling away to look the young adult in the eyes. Beth slowly nods, still in shock.

"Did you find Daryl?" Beth asks, her eyebrows furrowing. Aria nods, her mouth curving into a smile. "We were trying to think of a plan to save you. I'm sorry this happened." Aria tells her, her eyes studying the stitched up wound on Beth's cheek. Beth hands over some scrubs, looking over her shoulder. "I'll see you later." Beth walks out of the room, leaving Aria in a dead silent room. Pulling the hospital gown over her torso, Aria quickly slides on the scrubs before sticking her feet into her converse. Taking a deep breath, Aria pulls the door open, hesitantly stepping out. Her eyes catch sight of Beth and Steven as they wait patiently for her.

"You're going to be with me and Beth today—show you the ropes." Aria nods, following behind him as he walks off. As they stand at the end of a hall, two police officers walk around the corner, holding a writhing female. "Dawn needs you, now!" The man says and Steven sighs, rushing forward towards the room. The two females glance at each other nervously.

They both stand in the corner of the room as they watch Dawn lean over the woman. "Whatever you were thinking, it wasn't worth it. Okay, you have two choices. Either we cut off your arm or you do." The wounded warm scoffs, narrowing her eyes at Dawn. "Screw you and your little bitch!" The woman spats, glaring dangerously at the two. "Smartass whore." The man growls, rushing forward. Beth hastily grabs Aria's hand, squeezing it tightly. "Gorman—get out of here!" The man stomps out of the room, sending a nasty glare towards the two.

A machine begins to hum loudly as Steven clicks on switch. The woman kicks Steven's hand away as he nears her. "It's anesthetic. You need it." Aria bites her lip in anticipation, her heart pounding in her ears as she watches the scene unfold. "She made her choice. Do it." Dawn tells Steven, setting a hand on his. Steven reaches into his pocket, pulling out a metal wire. "No—no, no! I said leave me alone!" The woman growls, thrashing around more. Beth begins to tug on Aria's hand, wanting to leave the room. As the two females begin to leave, Dawn turns towards them.

"Where do you two think you're going?" Dawn yells, causing Aria to flinch slightly. "We can't help." Beth utters, tears building in her blue eyes. Aria gulps, drawing in a breath. "Do you want her to die?" The two females shake their heads and Aria drops Beth's hand, a worried look on her face. "Beth, Aria. I need y'all to hold her down. Do it now." Steven demands and the woman's sobs fill the room as Aria and Beth walk towards her. Setting her arms on the woman's torso, Aria stares down at the bitten arm, her jaw clenched tightly.

Steven begins sawing and Aria presses down harder as the woman screams in agony, her head flying to the side.