Chapter 8

An hour later Sirius was finally told he was able to leave. He was ecstatic, not only about being able to go back to his classes, but also to be able to find Remus. His bag was packed with sweets and gifts as well as his clothes. Sirius was just about to head out the doors when he was stopped by a brunette ball of energy, Melanie.

"You're leaving!" Melanie squealed.

Sirius chuckled awkwardly, "Um yeah.."

"Ooh," Melanie replied, "Perfect timing! It's almost time for dinner!"

"Yeah, I've just got to set my stuff down," Sirius said, and tried to scoot past Melanie.

Unfortunately she stopped him, "I'll come with you!" she exclaimed, and reached up to kiss him. 

Sirius pulled away quickly, dodging her lips and leaving Melanie extremely confused, "About that, there's something I need to tell you."

Melanie just nodded and waited for Sirius to speak, "We've got to break up."

Melanie's face dropped and her smile faded, "Oh," she said. "But why?"

"I'm in love with someone else," Sirius replied.

"Um alright, I understand ," she plastered a fake smile on her face.

Sirius turned red and started to stare down at the floor "It's...Remus."

Melanie stared at Sirius completely shocked, "I knew it!"

"What?" Sirius exclaimed.

"Well I didn't "know" per se, but I guess I always sort of figured..."

"But how?"

"C'mon Sirius," Melanie said "The way you stare at that boy. And when he talks to you, it's like no one else is in the room."

"I just..." Sirius said, "I'm so sorry Mel."

"Sirius," Melanie said "It's alright."

"Friends?"

"Friends." Melanie replied smiling. Then without consent she drew him into a big hug.

Sirius sprinted up to his dorm and when he got inside, he stopped in his tracks and smiled. He had missed this, and his friends, and even his teachers. Man! He'd never thought in a million years he would miss his classes.

He set down his bag on his bed and pulled the map out of it.

"Lumos," he said quietly and the tip of his wand lit up, and made the room light up.

He pointed his wand at the map, "I solemnly swear that I am up to no good."

Hundreds of mini footprints began to appear and suddenly the map came to life. He quickly scanned the map and realized everybody was in The Great Hall for dinner, including Remus. Dang it.

Sirius sighed, "Mischief managed."

He folded the map and tucked it into his nightstand, the pulled his wand back out, "Nox."

His wand went dim and the room became pitch black. He stumbled out of his room and dashed out to the Great Hall. His adrenaline was pumping and he was excited yet nervous. Was he actually going to tell Remus? Suddenly he stopped walking and stood in the middle of the corridor.

He laughed and stared at his feet, "Am I actually going to do this?"

"Who's there?" Another gravely voice came from the other corridor.

Filch. Sirius began running and didn't stop until he reached the doors to the Great Hall. He drew a deep breath in and pushed them open to reveal 4 huge tables of children chattering and gobbling down food. It was too noisy for anyone to notice him, so he slipped in quietly and walked towards the Gryffindor table, feeling confident.