Chapter 27

Sure you got everything?" I asked Lexi, waiting by the front door with my single suitcase. She had already piled up three suitcases inside the doorway.
"Yep, just zipping up the last one," she replied casually.

A black Range Rover pulled up outside the dorms, and I watched as Mason and Zach stepped out of the car.
"Boys are here," I called out.
"Oh, shit! Just gotta slap on some mascara, and I'll be good to go. Promise!" Lexi hurriedly shut the bathroom door.

"What's up, Quinnster? Is she ready yet?" Zach's voice echoed down the hallway.
"She's just making a few final adjustments, and she'll be out," I replied with a grin.
"Here, let me take that," Mason said, reaching for the handle of my suitcase. I didn't want to come off as weak or like a damsel in distress. I was perfectly capable of hauling my own bag. "Nah, I got it. But Lexi might need a hand," I laughed, pointing inside the door. Their eyes widened, and after a moment's hesitation, they each picked up a bag and started carrying them downstairs. Lexi wasn't joking when she said packing would take a while. She had an outfit for every occasion, plus a bunch of "just in case" options.

Lexi emerged from the bathroom, dragging a big pink suitcase behind her. There was a bounce in her step as we made our way down to the car. Once we crammed everything inside, Mason hopped behind the wheel, and off we went to our new place.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"This is the pool house where you girls will be staying... although I don't think Lex will be sleeping here much, she'll probably be in my bed," Zach whispered, playfully smacking her butt as we were shown around. The pool house was breath-taking, a charming cottage with shuttered windows and a renovated, modern touch. Its pristine white exterior was nestled among trees and vibrant flowers, with the pool glistening just outside.

I gasped in awe as we stepped inside, carrying my suitcase to my assigned room. Exposed wooden beams and soft downlights created a romantic ambiance. The floor resembled white marble, and a few steps led up to the bedrooms, adorned with gentle LED lights, crisp white linen sheets, and elegant wooden furniture. I couldn't contain my surprise at the sheer beauty of it all.

"Here, Quinn, this can be your room since Lex will probably be shacking up with lover boy," Mason smirked at Zach, who was affectionately pressed against Lexi's back, guiding her through the house. I placed my belongings down and sat on the bed, speechless. My childhood home was dilapidated, and the idea of such exquisite pool houses seemed unfathomable.

"You've never seen anything like this before?" Mason observed me, his gaze lingering as I struggled to take it all in—my eyes darting from the soft lights to the captivating water feature to the mirror. I shook my head, not wanting him to pity me. All I craved was to savour the present and immerse myself in this extraordinary experience.

"Are you guys coming inside for lunch? I make a killer grilled cheese sandwich," Zach called from another room, prompting giggles from Lexi. Hunger gnawed at me after staying up most of the night assisting Lexi with packing. We all exited the pool house and crossed the yard, making our way to the main house.

Lexi and I sat side by side on the couch, while the boys occupied themselves in the kitchen. I watched as Lexi twirled a strand of hair around her finger, her gaze fixed on Zach as he skillfully chopped the ingredients for the grilled sandwiches. Suddenly, I felt Lexi pulling me closer to her.

"Hey, girl, can I ask you a huge favour?" she whispered, keeping her voice low to avoid being overheard by the guys. I nodded, understanding the need for privacy.

"When we go to the Family Fun Fair, could you and Mason come with us? I want to introduce Zach to my parents, but I don't want to overwhelm him with just the two of us. If you and Mason join us, I don't think it will make it as pressuring," she explained, her eyes locked with mine. I couldn't help but notice her longing expression.

"What are you two whispering about?" Zach called out, glancing over his shoulder as he adjusted the sandwich press.

"The Family Fun Fair. You're coming too, right?" Lexi redirected the conversation, her eyes still focused on me.

"Absolutely. It's fun as. Even though my family will be working that weekend, I wouldn't miss it. What about you, Mase?" Zach inquired, taking a bite of salami. Mason glanced at Zach, then turned to me.

"I don't know. Are you going, Quinn?" His intense blue eyes seemed to lock onto mine for an eternity. I could only manage a nod in response.

"Great, I'll drive," Mason said between bites. The boys resumed their tasks in the kitchen, while Lexi continued speaking in hushed tones.

"And, um... another thing. Can you and Mase sort of 'disappear' when my parents arrive, so I can have some alone time with them? I really want to know what they think," Lexi pleaded, her eyes filled with hope. I sighed and gave her a meaningful look.

"Lex, you're treading a dangerous path. Does it really matter whether your parents like him or not? If you like him, that's what counts, right?" She smirked and raised an eyebrow.

"Well, well, missy, aren't you the one harbouring a massive crush on Mason, but holding back because of what certain people might think?" Lexi poked my underarm, provoking a ticklish sensation that made me squirm and stifle a laugh. I raised my hands in surrender, disliking being tickled.

"It's not about what my parents think of him... I'm just scared," I admitted, making sure Zach couldn't overhear. Leaning closer to Lexi, I confided in her.
"I'm afraid he'll chew me up, spit me out, and move on before I can even blink. I have trust issues, and I'm not ready to open up completely, only to be abandoned like everyone else. I don't think I..."

I couldn't finish my sentence. Lexi wrapped her arm around my mid section and rested her head on my shoulder.

"Hey, I stayed. I won't leave, I promise. But you have to work through those trust issues, girl. The sexual tension between you two is so palpable, I sometimes expect you to start making out right in the middle of the floor," she whispered, shaking her head and covering her mouth to prevent drawing attention to us.

"So, can you 'disappear'? Pretty please?" Lexi pleaded, pouting with her lower lip.

"Okay, I'll 'disappear'... but only if you take me to my doctor's appointment next week. I need someone to drive me," I negotiated, grateful for her moral support.

"Lunch is served, m'ladies," Zach announced, placing the plates on the counter. Lexi looked at me, awaiting my answer.

"What's the appointment for?" she whispered as the boys rummaged through the cupboards for cups.

"Oh, it's nothing, just a check-up after that incident with Chris," I replied, keeping my voice low. Lexi nodded and gave me a reassuring thumbs-up. Thank goodness!

Having her support meant the world to me. My parents had strict beliefs and relied solely on prayer and faith for healing. Even though my parents had very strong convictions on many things which other people didn't think twice about, I was grateful that selflessness was one of the things that was ingrained into me.

 Even though my parents had very strong convictions on many things which other people didn't think twice about,  I was grateful that selflessness was one of the things that was ingrained into me