Chapter 23: Don't Leave Me Again

That's when I notice his cheeks are streaked with tears. He pulls me into his arms and kisses the top of my head. "It really is you," he whispers.

     "Edward," I bury my cheek into his warm chest. "I've missed you so so much."

      He strokes my cheek gingerly. "Is this a dream?"

      "I don't know."

      He doesn't reply. Suddenly, he is pushing me back on to the bed. I am pinned underneath him, breathing hard.

      "Natalie," he dips his head until our lips are nearly touching, "you're so beautiful."

      "You knew she was pretending to be me?" I ask. 

       "I had a hunch," he nods, "she was so different from you, and I knew there was something going on."  

       I lean up to kiss him, but he pulls back.

     "Hold on, my love," he pushes himself up and takes both of my hands into his, squeezing them gently, "I know you just came back, but today is actually our wedding day."

     "Oh right!" I remember the wedding dress.

     "Everyone's waiting for us in the chapel."

    "Well, I'm ready," I smile at him, "let's get married."

     He smiles and kisses my cheek. "But before we go. I need to know what happened. Please...tell me the truth."

     I take a shaky breath. "That night. Before the meteor shower...I-I lied to you." I pause, checking his expression. He doesn't look angry. Yet. He nods, urging me to go on.

    "I told you we could go back together," I look down at my hands, "but...only I went back. And I'm sorry. It's the biggest mistake I've ever made," I start to sob as the words tumble out of my mouth, "I didn't know that Catherine would come back and that she would lie to you...She pretended to be me and she loves you and Calchantis is helping her and now I'm suddenly back and-"

      "Hey hey hey," Edward cuts me off, pulling me into his arms, "don't cry, my love."

      "I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry," I cry into his chest.

       "Shhhh..."He pats my back. "It's alright. Everything's going to be alright."

       "Don't leave me again," I whisper once I've calmed down. I can feel him tense up against me. I tilt my head up to look at his face. "What's wrong?"

        My heart drops at the look in his eyes. It's the look of betrayal. Of hurt. Pain. I've never seen him like this. "You left me." His voice cracks. "I trusted you. I trusted our love."

      The tears threaten to spill over again. "Edward...I-"

       "Stop," he looks away, "just...just tell me one thing."

       "Okay."

       "Why did you leave me?"

        "I-"

        "Wait!" He takes my cheeks into his hands and forces me to look straight into his pleading eyes. "Tell me Calchantis forced you. Tell me he tricked you. Tell me something went wrong. Please..."

        We sit in silence for a minute. He wants me to lie.

         But I can't. I owe him the truth. "I went back to save you...and everyone else."

       "You left me because you believed a lie Calchantis told you?"

       "No, it's not a lie. I couldn't let anything bad happen to you. James died because of me. I couldn't let anyone else suffer because me."

       Edward shakes his head. "Then why are you back now?"

       "I'm not sure how I got back. But I won't leave you again."

       "If it was me, I would have stayed. Or I would have found a way to bring you with me. I would never, under any circumstances, allow myself to be separated from you." He sighs. "Or you could have just told me the truth. We could have at least had the chance to say goodbye."

       "I know. I know. I'm sorry."

       "Natalie...I don't know if you feel the same way about me as I feel about you."

       "I do! I really do!" I try to hug him, but he's already pushing me off and standing up.

        "Everyone's waiting," he walks towards the door. "We'll talk about this later. Let's go."

        "But-"

        "I said, we'll talk about this later."

         "Wait, Edward, wait!" I call as he opens the door.

           "Hurry up!"

            "I'm pregna-"

           "Come on," he pulls me out of the room impatiently.
——————————
          "Your majesty!"

           I turn around to see my ladies in waiting hurrying towards me. The brunette one, Margaret, I think, hands me a bouquet of roses and lilies. "Your wedding bouquet, your majesty."

           "Thank you," I try to smile as they usher me into the chapel.

            Everyone stares as I enter. A hush falls over the room. I look straight ahead and see Edward standing at the altar. He doesn't smile.

           Tears sting the back of my eyes. This isn't how my wedding is supposed to be.

           "Edward, are we okay?" I whisper once I am up on the altar.

           He doesn't reply.

           The priest begins to speak.

           "Edward VII of England, do you take Princess Catherine Elizabeth Stuart as your lawful wife, to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer or for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and cherish until death do you part?"

          "I do," Edward replies.

           Princess Catherine...No! This isn't right! This isn't my wedding!

            I want to scream.

           "Princess Catherine Elizabeth Stuart, do you take Edward VII of England as your lawful husband, to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer or for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and cherish until death do you part?"

           "I..." I hesitate.

           "Natalie!" Edward hisses, narrowing his eyes.

            I nod. "I do."

            We kiss, quickly, a brief touch of cold, hard lips.

            "I pronounce you husband and wife."
———————