Chapter 28 - Options

BRIAN

The beginning of October has arrived to our doorstep and I've been busier than ever. The fairgrounds website seems to be attracting people from out of town and the test weekends with a general admission price have been successful. We have started working on the plans for the food court which ended up being simpler than I expected. The souvenir shop is now empty and Jaden and Lewis have been putting their heads together on how to integrate it into the fairgrounds theme. This morning, I made a stop at the café to share the blueprints for Charlie's leased area and my heart filled with joy at the sight of the first holiday pastries on display.

For this weekend, I ran an ad for a family package and I hope it works to bring the locals back to the grounds. As I walked inside, I saw a line of cars riding towards the parking and felt hopeful. Today I'm managing the ticket booth during the first opening hours to keep an eye on the sales, and later, I'll supervise the Love Boat area that we have transformed into a haunted house for Halloween. Horror seems to make teens even hornier than normal.

"A family package," my next customer says and the voice sounds familiar.

I lift my gaze from the cash register to see Ximena, Lewis and the boys. He looks happier than I have ever seen him, even more than when he moved to Lonstino. Hannah's betrayal turned him into an empty shell with a permanent sad look in his eyes, but things seem to be changing for him. I heard from Greg that the kids and Lewis were ill last weekend and Ximena took care of them. I felt quite outraged that Hannah brought them back because they were sick, but didn't surprise me as I have known her all my life and I know what a selfish bitch she can be.

"You know you don't need to pay here," I say and Ximena gives me a bright smile.

"We want to. Think of it as our treat to you to celebrate all the good things going on around here."

Her words warm my heart and I come out of the booth, after asking another employee to continue with the next customer, to hold Ximena and Lewis in a hug. My feelings towards Ximena have become clearer as the days go by, and I know that wherever she ends up I will always have her friendship and support.

"Are you guys feeling better?" I ask Michael and Luke and they nod. "Did you enjoy having Ximena take care of you?" 

Ximena's face shows surprise and Lewis looks slightly embarrassed.

"She made us toast with jelly and peanut butter and cut it in dry-angles," Luke says and smiles cheekily at Ximena.

"Triangles," Lewis corrects him.

"He knows the word well and likes to test if we are alert," she winks at Luke who grins. "I'm glad I could help and now that everyone is well we can enjoy the fairgrounds." 

"I'm really happy you are all here. Ximena, can I have a word with you about the website? Lewis, you should take a peek at your new space. I think you'll be pleased with the size now that it's empty."

"Sure," Ximena says. "Guys, don't get started without me!"

Lewis heads to the new space. Ximena crosses her arms over her chest and raises an eyebrow.

"This isn't about the website, right?"

"You guessed right. Do you have feelings for Lewis?"

"What if I do?" She challenges.

"Then I'm happy for you because that probably means that staying in Lonstino is an option. I don't know Lewis as well as Charlie and Greg do, but I know that he is a caring man and deserves a woman who will also care about him. You are perfect for him, but if you are still considering returning to Greenwood, then you will break his heart."