chapter twenty

small   world

your p.o.v

"Wait so you're skipping class today?" Tomo-chan asked as I rummaged through my shared closet with Haruka, trying desperately to find something relatively nice to wear.

I glanced over my shoulder to the burgundy haired girl and offered her a bright smile. "Yup. Don't tell anyone, but I'm actually meeting up with Reiji and a few other idols to discuss possible song ideas.~"

Haruka looked to me with widened eyes from where she sits on her bed. "That's amazing ___! I'm so happy for you!"

"Don't get too excited just yet. I'm pretty sure I'm going to turn them down for now since I need to focus on school." I said, going back to filtering through my clothes. "I mean, Ren still isn't talking to me, Otoya needs to finish his song, I have that competition going on with Masato- school is hectic right now and I don't have time to be working with professionals when I need to focus on graduating first."

Tomo-chan laughed at that. "True, graduating is a little important." She agreed.

"But if you worked with Reiji and these other idols, then couldn't you just graduate early and go straight to working professionally?" Haruka then asked.

I glanced to the pink haired girl before shrugging my shoulders. "Honestly, I don't know if Shining would let me do that and even if he did go along with that plan of action, I wouldn't want to take it."

"Why not? Getting to skip all this school stuff to go straight to composing for real professional idols is like every composer's dream, right Haruka?" Tomo-chan asked to which our roommate nodded. "It would be nice to go and compose for professionals and learn hands-on rather than attend all these classes," Haruka responded easily.

"Eh, I'm having a lot of fun here with everyone and I don't want to just skip all of this. Otoya and I were homeschooled back at the orphanage so this is our first real school experience and I don't want to just let this slip through my grasp just yet. Besides, I've made such amazing friends here and if I have to sit through boring classes in order to create stronger bonds with everyone, then so be it!" I said with a bright laugh as I finally decided on an outfit to wear today.

I'm meeting with four actual idols so it's not like I can just walk out of here wearing something horribly casual. I have to make a great first impression on them! They don't seem very fond of Reiji and they also think I'm a lot like him so I have to prove them wrong and show them that I am very serious about becoming the best composer I can become for my idols. Even if I turn down working with them now, who knows if I'll work with them in the future so I can't go screwing things up for my future self now can I?

Things went quiet for a moment before Haruka spoke up once more. "Is that why you're so determined to improve your relationship with Ren?" She asked hesitantly.

I grabbed the hem of my night shirt before tugging the piece of clothing up and off over my head. "Is what why?" I asked in return.

"I don't really know how to word this without coming across as rude," Haruka said with a small laugh.

Smiling, I looked to the cute pink haired girl from over my shoulder. "Just ask. I'll know you don't mean it in a rude way."

She still hesitated while Tomo-chan walked over to help me pick out a better outfit since between the three of us, she definitely has the best style. "Well," Haruka started, "you grew up in the orphanage and were really alone right until you had Otoya right?" I nodded in agreement. "So, are you scared that maybe if you mess things up with Ren, you'll lose him for good and be alone again?"