Why

I know a girl, she's like a curse
We want each other, no one will break first.

*****

I watch her quietly and intently, focusing in on the details of her movements. She is graceful and careful when she moves, eliciting a clear intention behind each step. She executes choreography beautifully, almost effortlessly, and dances as if it is her oxygen.

When the music comes to a stop, she turns to me and her face immediately erupts into a gorgeous smile that's bright enough to illuminate the darkest of nights.

It was her passion and talent that intrigued me, but it was that smile that made me stay.

Although it's just the two of us in the empty TMilly Studio, I can't help but applaud. "Beautiful as always, Ms. Kaycee Rice."

She lets out a giggle. "Why thank you, Mr. Sean Lew. And thank you for coming down to see my piece. You know I always appreciate your feedback."

"Is this the piece you're going to teach in Brooklyn?"

"That's the plan! They wanted a hip-hop class and a contemporary class, so this is the contemporary piece I've been working on. Any critiques you have for me?"

The time we spent together rehearsing for various projects and World of Dance, I truly found my best friend. The amount of trust we had built within the past year and a half allowed us to be comfortable with each other in our friendship, our partnership, and as separate choreographers. In a creative setting, we never held back or sugar-coated anything which really helped the both of us to grow as dancers, and deepen the trust we had in each other.

"Honestly Kayc, it was beautiful. I could nitpick all the miniscule technical details if you want, but you already know what they are. I'm sad I won't be able to see you teach in person, but I'll be cheering for you from Atlanta." I reply honestly.

"Wow, Shamu doesn't have any critiques for me? That's new." She laughs, making me roll my eyes in faux-annoyance. "Thank you, Sean. Are you going to teach something new for your workshops in Atlanta?"

"No, I'm probably going to teach a piece I've already made. But..." I start, but I hesitate to continue.

I see Kaycee tilt her head in confusion, waiting for me to continue. There's an innocence to her face, an inexplicable glow that radiates off of her as if nothing could ever hurt her, could ever bring her down.

Except me.

Am I ready to take the leap? More importantly, is she?

I take her hand in mine and lead her to the mirror. "Sit here, I want to show you something."

She slowly sits down hugging her knees, her back against the mirror. "Is it a new piece for an upcoming class?"

I walk over to the stereo system to plug in my laptop for the music. "Nope."

"Concept video? Or a new duet for us?"

I shake my head. "This is just for you to see."

She tilts her head in confusion again, an oblivious smile painted on her face. "Sean, I don't understand. What is this?"

I hit the play button, and Why by Shawn Mendes begins to play and echo throughout the empty studio. I make my way to the center of the floor, facing Kaycee. When the first beat hits, my body begins to move.

Over the last few weeks, I've poured my heart into this choreography despite knowing that I would never show it to anyone. I've known for awhile that I've fallen in love with her. I'm almost certain that she's in love with me too, although I'm fully aware that she's not ready.

But I don't think I can hide anymore.

I keep my focus on Kaycee as I dance, not once looking at my own reflection in the mirror. As innocent as Kaycee is, she isn't naive or oblivious. As she takes in the lyrics, my choreography, and my intense gaze, she understands what I'm saying to her.

Just as I feared, I see her glow gradually diminish right before my eyes.

She brings her knees further into her chest and lowers her head in a failed attempt to hide the fact that she's tearing up. I stop dancing and lower the volume of the music before I settle down across from her to comfort her. She isn't full on crying, but I reach out and place my hands on her shoulders anyway.

"I don't want to hide how I feel about you anymore, Kayc."

She doesn't say anything. Instead, she takes in a deep breath and lets it out slowly, perhaps in an attempt to calm down to prevent herself from crying.

I carefully move to sit next to her, letting the silence speak for the both of us for a little bit. Eventually, she relaxes and straightens out her legs, places her hand on top of mine, and leans her head on my shoulder.

"Sean, you already know how I feel about you." It wasn't a question. She says it so matter-of-factually that it almost surprises me.

"I do." I reply.

"So then, you know that-"

"I know you're not ready, Kayc. That's not why I showed you my piece or why I made it in the first place. I'm just tired of pretending that we're just partners, just best friends."

"But Sean," Kaycee interjects. "That is what we are."

I can't suppress the sarcastic scoff that manages to escape me. "You say that, but even you don't sound convinced. What we are is in love with each other. I don't think that makes us just best friends anymore."

"It's going to get complicated when we break up. I'm barely friends with Gabe anymore, and we weren't even romantically involved. Imagine what would happen to us." She recounts, sadness and regret dripping in her tone.

"What is this 'when we break up' nonsense? Do you have such little faith in us that I can't even get an 'if we break up' scenario?" I say, half-joking.

She gives me a weak smile, but I'll take it. "I can't explain why I'm still so scared. I just need more time."

"I know, Kayc. And I'll give you all the time in the world. Like I said, I didn't show you this piece for that reason. I just wanted you to know that-"

I hesitate again. Should I say it?

"I'm not going anywhere. I'll always be right here..." I slowly stand up and extend my hand down toward her. No more hiding.

"And I... I love you."

She looks up at me as if I'm the only person in the world, and she's glowing more than I had ever seen in my life.

She takes hold of my hand as I pull her up to stand. She immediately wraps her arms around my waist and hugs me tightly. My arms gently envelop around her as I bury my head in her hair, inhaling her scent.

I feel her head turn from underneath my chin as she places a soft kiss on my cheek.

I don't even try to suppress the smile that erupts on my face. She doesn't say "I love you" back, but she doesn't have to - I already know.

I glance at our reflection in the mirror as I'm holding Kaycee, and I notice that she's burying her face in my chest to hide how undeniably red she has become.

I know that Kaycee needs time to overcome her fears and I will gladly give that to her. In the meantime, I will do everything I can to show her that she doesn't have anything to fear because I don't plan on going anywhere.

She's my soulmate, after all.

**********

A/N: Had a break from my busy schedule and decided to write this short, soft chapter. The content drought is killing me slowly, but also happy to know that Sean and Kaycee are probably busy doing big things! (Or they're together and cuddling, who knows?)

This was inspired by the song (obviously), the fact that they'll be away teaching workshops on the same weekend, and Valentine's Day :)