Perished Country p.1

Half a sky of the imperial city burning in red flames, the gradual accumulation of clouds engulfing that touch of moonlight in the horizon.

Holding up my overly complex skirt, I slowly set foot on the light grey steps of the city wall, walking with great difficulty. I have never liked these sorts of overly complicated clothing, unless absolutely necessary, I would never dress myself in such attire, and even if I do, behind me, there will always be a large number of maids to help hold up the skirt.

But today, there isn't.

There are only soldiers in heavy armours, holding up ice cold spears, stained in blood, their faces expressionless as they hold me in capture, heading up the city tower.

Above the tower are battle flags, fluttering in the wind, having yet to arrive at the top, the cries of women and children are already audible. I step over the stiff cold limbs of a noble lady's corpse, her head and body severed, with resolute indifference, I walk over to where the highest balcony lies.

The stars in the distance were revolving, the clouds rolling past faster and faster. Eyes witnessing a rainstorm soon to approach.

Below the city tower, three hundred thousand soldiers have already encircled the imperial city, blocking all sides, sparing no chance for escape.

With this many people, other than the irritating neighing of the warhorses, I cannot hear any other noise. The night wind carries a bloody scent as it icily hits my face, I free my hold from the skirt, simply allowing it to dance along to the wind. I believe, this wedding gown of endlessly flowing bright red, among this night, should be the most stunning colour aside from the crimson blood.

A frosty sword carrying a bloody stench line my neck, such coldblooded murder that stains the armour of the man behind, makes my hairs stand on end. He loudly hisses:

"Marquis of Chang Ye, An Zi Wu!"

The three hundred thousand soldiers below the walls submerge into silence. I lower my eyes, masking the look that can be seen in my orbs, looking rather similar to a statue void of consciousness.

"An Zi Wu!" The raging anger of the man behind erupts, "(Imperial) I command you to quickly come out, one minute late and I shall gauge out one of your madam's eye, one moment late and I shall cut her into a 'human swine'[1]!"

Human swine, removing all four limbs, gouging out the eyes, cutting off the ears, slicing off the nose and tongue, this is still the most favourite punishment of the monarch behind me.

My eyes remain lowered, collecting my thoughts, calming my heart, not letting leak the slightest of expression.

The troops below grow slightly restless. The majority of them serving under my husband, Marquis of Chang Ye, many of the generals are also familiar with me. Killing one woman is no big deal, but in a situation like this, to brutally kill the woman of the rebel leader, is but a type of deterrent.

Not to mention that above this city wall, there are many other family members of the generals and soldiers, they are all currently sorrowfully weeping. Right now, to kill me like this is also a way of saying: not long after, they too will be brutally killed in the same manner. These troops have camped out in the outside world for a long time already, longing only for their wives, children, and parents back home, should their women and children be killed......

The emperor's strategy that targets hearts and mind alike really is viciously cruel.

The stomping of hooves sounds from below the city. This sound is originally very light, yet I am still able to make out the noise. Perhaps because I was once a songstress for a number of years, I am more sensitive to sound, or maybe it's because the horse he's riding 'Long Mei' is one he and I had picked together.

A path pierces through the military fronts, the man on horseback pulls at the reigns, neither rushed nor slow as he appears before everyone's eyes.

Amongst the shrouded night, only the lighting of torches allows me to see an unclear view of his face. Only knowing that his backbone is set very straight, the silver armour on his body, outlining perfect proportions, this is not the first time I've seen him in battle gear but is the first time I've seen him in battle gear whilst in battle.

Less of an easy-going nature, more of a severe sternness.

The corners of my lips unconsciously trace an arc. That is my husband –– Marquis of Chang Ye, An Zi Wu. Currently the leading commander of the rebel army, about to overthrow the tyrannical reign of the ruling master of this country.

Seeing Zi Wu come out, the emperor behind me is somewhat happy. After all, rumours that Zi Wu and I share feelings that run bone-deep, is known throughout the Capital. They all believe that Zi Wu and I are a pair that will follow one another through life and death.

Follow one another through life and death.

Only I know, this is but an image Zi Wu wants them to see.

"Marquis of Chang Ye, should you be willing to withdraw troops, (imperial) I can show leniency towards your madam, and further forgive and forget all this, continuing to allow you to remain an official in court, loyal in serving my great Qi!"

The humid night breeze rolls up the flags on the city walls, and the person on horseback below remains motionless in the night wind.

He has not yet replied, but I already know his answer.