~one~

Endings are simply new beginnings

                              ~Jade~

There was this feeling that came with the first day of a new session. I wasn't sure about what it was exactly about but I was pretty sure it has to do with the fact that we were seeing each other again after almost three months of being apart. There were also basic things attached to this first day, students took it as an avenue to flaunt their new designer bags and shoes, wristwatches, earrings, and all. You'd think the girls were pitched against themselves by how much attention they took to flaunting their new collections. For some students, it was also an avenue to change their social status, elevate from that group to a more sociable group, anything to climb up the social ladder. Or perhaps, date a more popular person, that was the surest way of climbing the social ladder here. There was this senior that dated a boy per term. Weird, right? Then welcome to Lakeview High.

Lakeview stood high and tall in Ibadan. Boasting more than 4 acres of land, it was popular for its vast landmass, a hall of 2000 people capacity, a football field, a basketball court, a swimming pool among other things. I could go on and on and I still won't get around to all the good things Lakeview boasts of. I've spent five years in the school and hardly a day passed without me admiring Lakeview's beauty and today was no exception. I watched the flowers adorning the driveway and I marveled at how beautiful they were. I wished I could get out of the car and pluck a flower just to sniffle it. But that would be a cruel thing to do to such beautiful beauty. I got down from the car, waving hi's and good mornings to my mates and juniors that greeted me.

Yah. Today is the day. I was officially a finalist. Yeap yeap. I did a mental dance, briefly imagining how my last days in Lakeview were going to be. Fun-filled and glamorous.

I couldn't stop the huge smile on my face as I climbed the stairs to the SS3 block.

This is such a happy day.

I thought to myself until I bumped into someone. I moved back, my hands on my forehead.

I looked up, ready to apologize, only to discover that it was Uthman. The apology died in my throat. We did a glaring contest for nothing more than five seconds before he moved to a side, his cocky and annoying smile plastered on his face.

What a great way to start the session.

'Learn to watch where you're going.'

He said and he walked away before I could reply. Michelle, his sidekick or whatever you call her, who was walking with me intentionally bumped into me before walking away.

Keep calm. Jade! Keep calm. This is the first day of a new session. You surely won't allow those two to get to you.

I fisted my palms, heaved a sigh, and plastered a huge smile on my face. I was all about positivity this session and I wasn't going to allow some raffs to get on my nerves.

'Jade!!!'

I heard someone screamed. It was Hana, my bestie of four years. She was the first person to call Jade-as in Jade from Victorious sitcom and over the years, the name had come to stay.

She was walking, no, running towards me. I was momentarily blown away by how pretty she looked. Hana had won Miss Lakeview five consecutive times. She was the prettiest in the whole of Lakeview and I honestly think she will drop the crown only when she graduates. She's that pretty!