-Pain

Rose

I brush myself off and ignore the pain, throbbing on the left side of my face.

"Yes I did." He gives me a blank stare and I return it. I feel dead around this man.

My mother gasps from behind us and his gaze moves to her. He steps pass me and my mom almost runs into his arms.

He hugs her, tight, it looks like and she returns it.

Something sinks inside me and all I do is sigh and look away.

How disturbing. I'm not surprised, though. I had a feeling she would be like this.

Maybe if they didn't have me, they would've still been happy. But they did have me, so they have to deal with me.

I move away to some random spot further from them and stand.

What now? He got me and Mom back, but what does he want from us?

I look over at them and blink.

What does he want from me?

Suddenly, my Dad passes me, holding my mother's hand. Caleb follows behind them, but stops next to me.

"Let's get in the van. We're going to have a talk at the house." Caleb motions me to come with him and reluctantly, I follow him.

The bitter feeling in my chest spreads. I don't want to go back in that house. I never wanted to step foot in that prison ever again.

Now I have no choice. Again, just like all those years ago, when my life was what my father decided it was.

I swallow.

It's okay. I want this. I have to face my father and now is that time. It doesn't matter if I would rather be in Ryder's arms, feeling warm and safe. No, I knew this day was coming and I'm ready.

If Ryder was here, he'd probably be next to me holding my hand, supporting me through this.

So I'll just pretend he's right next to me, squeezing my hand, standing tall, being my pillar.

I clench my fists and take a deep breath.

Exhaling, I shake my head and focus. Caleb holds open the car door for me and I nod to him as I step inside.

I'll keep fighting until I get back home with you, Ryder.

***

The ride was brief. Quiet, as side from a couple phone calls to Caleb and my Dad.

We get out in front of the main entrance of the house, while the driver takes off to park the car.

I sigh.

I wish I could go with him.

My father takes the lead and opens the door. Stepping into my old home, I breathe in the nostalgia of my childhood.

Looking around as I walk, my mind wonders back to when times were good.

Passing the staircase, I remember running down it to escape my Mom when we would play tag.

The blue walls I used to always scribble on now seem a lot shorter than they were before. That's what growing up does to you.

Taking the turn to the family room, I think of all the times I put puzzles together with my mother and father inside of it.

When I turned 8, that's when things started to fall apart.

We all get seated around a small table I don't recognize. My mom sits next to my father, across from me and Caleb sits at a chair next to mine.