twenty one

Caden's P.O.V.

I was jolted awake by someone shaking my shoulder.

"Caden. The cops. The cops are here."

"What...?" I saw Sergio out of my barely open eyes.

"The police are knocking down the door."

I heard the crack and slam of a wooden door being brought off its hinges and to the floor. Simon sat straight up in bed, his hand flying to my chest.

"Get up!" He yelled in a whisper.

I jumped out of bed and Sergio led us out the back door, just before the police made it to the kitchen. I heard him start his explanation to the cops as we ran away.

"Yeah. They got away. I didn't see where they went and-"

We made it to the side of the house and I started the car. Simon was shaking.

"They found us, Cade. They found us. But you said-"

"I know what I said!" I yelled and hit the steering wheel. I was driving as quickly as possible away from Sergio's house as my car would go.

"You don't have to shout, you know."

"I know. I'm sorry. I just don't want to know what would happen if they caught us."

"I know."

We sat in silence for a few moments, and then I pressed play on the CD player. No music played. I looked to Simon, and he smiled sheepishly.

"I always put the disk back in the case."

"Got anything else?"

He turned to look in the back, and the color drained from his face.

"I forgot all my cds." his shock was whispered so quietly, that I didn't here hardly a thing.

"You what? "

"I forgot my cds, at the house." He turned back into his seat and stared silently forward.

"I'm so sorry Simon."

"At least I left the signed ones at home." He gave me a sad smile and a laugh with no humor. I grabbed his hand and rubbed my thumb over his knuckles.

"It'll be okay." I assured.

"Thanks." He gave me a more real smile that time.

Suddenly, red and blue lights were flashing behind us. A siren broke the air, and I bricked the gas with my foot. The car screeched and burnt rubber on the old, bumpy road.

I pulled my hand down my face.

"We should stop. They won't stop."

"Simon. I- I can't let them take you," I sighed, "I just got you."

"And I just got you, but we'll crash if you go any faster! And what if they start shooting?"

They did. The cops hit our back tire, and we hit a pothole on the tattered road. The side of the car flipped up and over a couple times. My head bounced off every surface it hit, and I felt the cart tumble different directions. The road had been on a small hill, and I know we had just rolled down it.

More and more sirens piled on top of each other as I tried to look at Simon. My neck wouldn't move, but I knew it was only from the way the metal had been bent.

The last time I saw Simon, was as he was being loaded into the back of the ambulance.

His face was bruised and bloodied. His eyes were fluttering back and forth, telling me he was still at least alive. His arm sat at an odd angle on his chest, and his clothes were torn in places were small bleeding scratches poked through. My heart had stopped when I stood there. A police shoving me into his backseat didn't stop my silence.

I wasn't not saying anything.

I was praying.

-------------------//----

♡♡♡♡♡