- escapees, clones, and ruins -

sorry for the wait!!! next chapter out soon :)

IT WAS 7:35 PM, AND ELENORA AND CONNOR were fighting over who had the better remote as they competed in an aggressive Mario Kart game

"You're being stupid, Connor, they're the same thing!" Elenora told him as she lapped her second competitor, swiftly dodging a banana peel and catching a mystery box all a two-second span. To be fair to Connor, that was highly unnatural.

Meanwhile, Connor was stuck in a ditch with some white ghost dude holding a sign in his face. "You're a cheat!" Connor accused, aggressively pressing on the buttons but still getting nowhere. "You know that this controller sucks, and that's why you gave it to me!"

"Maybe it's not the controller, but the player!"

"I swear to God-" her grumbled, using his right hand to grab a pillow and shove it in Elenora's face.

She screeched, tossing the remote instinctively, but Connor didn't stop; he got another pillow to chuck at her.

Elenora would have yelled some more if Connor hadn't suddenly sobered up, his hand slamming to his forehead as he let out a pained groaned. In seconds, Elenora had straightened up and was assessing the situation.

"Are you alright?" she asked, her own hand reaching for Connor's, but something must've hit him because Connor jolted and let out another yelp. "Connor!" Elenora called, now on the ground in front on him, trying to get a better view at what was going on. Though his hair was covering most of his face, Connor's cheeks were visibly red and his teeth were gritted, and eyes squeezed shut like he was focusing hard on something.

Before Elenora could even ask, Connor gritted out, "It's Uncle Charles. H-he's trying to say something."

Not wanting to cause him any more pain than he was going through, Elenora stayed silent, but her hand stayed on his knee, reminding him that she was right there.

It was silence on Elenora's end- Charles hadn't spoken to share anything with her, but it was quite clear by the pain he was putting Connor through, it was extremely important that the two of them found out, and soon. Within seconds, Connor was nodding and mumbling, and anxiously, Elenora was biting her nails; part of her wished the conversation was in her head, but the other part was thankful that the pain Connor was enduring was not at all shared with her.

Eventually, it was over. Connor swallowed harshly, and lifted his head, brushing his hair out of his face with shaky hands. Elenora almost wished he hadn't- Connor looked mortified. There wasn't a time when Elenora had seen a face that scared or fearful in her life, and she did not like the look of it on Connor's face.

"What?" she asked, moving up to make better eye contact with him before asking again, "What's wrong? What did he say?"

"Devon isn't just after us, he's- " Connor stopped himself for a second, hating the blood that ran through his veins more than ever. Why couldn't Charles have been his dad? Why couldn't Steve? No, Connor had to have that crazy dude who didn't only abandoned his child, but who- "targeted the Avengers. He's coming after all of them."