Chapter 10: Double Trouble

Elisabeth ran her fingers over the ink of her father's letter

Elisabeth ran her fingers over the ink of her father's letter. She knew the daily prophet had been writing articles about the tournament, Celia has shown her some. None of them went very in depth just yet. But both Beth and Celia agreed that they are probably saving that for after the first task. 

It was only two weeks away now, and it seemed like Beth was constantly on the verge of a total emotional breakdown. Once she could not find her quill in her school bag and burst out into tears, another time she chucked a book at a first year for talking so loudly.

The tensions were rising in the castle. No one was safe from the hexes and jinxes that were being cast in the hallways. Beth could go nowhere alone and was always surrounded by several Slytherin bodyguards. The only time they let her be was at the very end of the day when she was getting kicked out of the library by Madam Prince. 

She made her way back to the dungeons, when she heard soft voices. She would have kept walking, had she not recognised Kaeley's giggle. She was in the Defence Against the Dark Arts classroom, and she wasn't alone. 

"What are you proposing then?" She asked. Even with his back to the door, Beth immediately recognised the back of Cephas, his white hair and lanky posture easily gave him away. Yes, this was definitely a conversation they did not want anyone to hear. 

"An alliance, just for this first task." He said. "Together we have five clues. Gryffindor has none and Slytherin only one, which she'll never share."

"But why should we share?" Kaeley asked back. 

"Don't you think Slytherin and Gryffindor have won enough?" He argued. "Every year it's the same old song. They either win the house tournament, the Quidditch cup or both. When was the last time Hufflepuff won anything?"

"I'm not stupid you know." She answered sharply. "If I help you my chances of beating Elisabeth increase. I still don't stand a chance against you."

"That is why we fully work together through the first task." He answered. The room fell silent for a small moment, and Beth feared she had been spotted. When she did dare to peek she saw Kaeley grinning widely at Cephas. 

"So we win together?" She finally asked back. Cephas nodded. "Then we have a deal."

Beth quickly moved out the way before they could see her, but she had heard enough. She hadn't expected to come in first, but if they go in as a duo then she would come in third, and that is if she could outwit Sirius. It was time for drastic actions.