[05] Extraordinary

Chapter 5: Extraordinary

Hello September. How was your summer?

Mine was busy ... I almost died by a stroke of lightning, became an electric conductor and was imprisoned by a strict lady in a strange mansion. But the one perk of all that is... no school.

Is it worth it?

I don't even get to sleep in....

"Wake up," Hugo's gruff voice and big hands shook me awake.

"Bleh flem shlap." My mind was far off, dreaming sweet sweet dreams.

"Wake up," he said again.

My eyes snapped open. "What are you doing in my room?"

"Get up."

I whined and slapped him with my pillow. "Why are you here? Leave."

"Maythorne wants me to test you out."

Was he out of his mind... in my bedroom... testing me out...

"Sexually?" I looked horrified.

He sat back. "Not everything is about sex, Georgia. I know I'm your dream come true and you've just woken up so I can't blame you for the confusion but no. It's got to be consensual and I'm, uh, not consenting."

I sat up on my elbows, patting the sheets down around me. "First off, you sound really rehearsed. And secondly, you're the one in my bed right now saying you want to test me out... what do you think I'm going to think?"

Yeah, it's dead embarrassing that I thought that.
And yeah I died all over again when he rejected me for a proposition I didn't even request.
And I know I died a third time when I realized he's so out of my league it really would just be a dream.

I refused to show embarrassment - though my cheeks betrayed me.

"Will you just get dressed?"

That took me down a couple more pegs. I felt bare. Sitting in my bed with my bed hair and zits on display. I hadn't even washed my face. And there he was, sitting on it next to me, looking like a man in a Calvin Klein commercial.

I looked over at the clock on my wall. Five AM.

"Oh hell no. No no no no!" I slammed my body down into the bed, determined to go back to sleep.

Please close the door quietly on your way out. Thank you.

"I wasn't asking." He responded and before I could even register that, he'd ripped the sheets off me and had his arms around my body. In one fell swoop he lifted me into the air and swung me across his shoulder.

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!"

I did not go quietly.

"If you electrocute me, I will end you. So stop moving."

I realized that his hoodie and gloves prevented his skin from coming into contact with mine. He had come prepared. I did stop moving though, not actually wanting to hurt him. For now.

So I settled into a more comfortable position on his shoulder, being swung casually from side to side as he walked along the hallway and down the stairs and out the front door and down the porch and onto the grass-

"Uh, where are we going?" I raised a finger, head upside down with my hair bobbing into my eyes, making it hard to see.

He dropped me into a heap on the grass.

"I told you. We need to test you out. If you're like us, you should have capabilities that normal people don't."

"Like what?"