Daddy Issues

"Tam, wait!" I heard my sister calling my name. "Wait for me!"

But I didn't. My feet refused to stop running, refused to stop burning off the anger, the shame, the adrenaline rushing through me. The trees flashed in my peripheral vision as I ran into the forest beside Choralmere, trying to lose the sound of my father's voice ringing in my ears.

I'd given up. I didn't even try to explain myself, taking every one of my father's accusations. It was better for Linh if he let out all his anger on me.

Besides, it was nothing I hadn't heard before. He'd seemed to have run short of ways he could tell me I was a disappointment. Joining the Neverseen was just another red mark on my ledger--there were too many to count now. 

I stopped, panting, looking around the clearing I stood in. I needed to get out of here. Anywhere else would be better than Choralmere.

I took out my leaping crystal, held it to the light and stepped into the beam.

Foxfire's campus was dark, the glass pyramid shining in the clouded moonlight. I looked around, glad to find it deserted. The front entrance was locked, but Lady Zillah had shown me a back way in, one that she said nobody ever locked in case teachers forgot their keys inside. Apparently that happened often enough to take a precaution.

I circled around the pyramid and found a small door set in the glass. I pulled it open and arrived in the dark hallway I had used to get to my shadowflux training. The thought made me shudder. I still hated that stuff.

I shook those thoughts out of my head and went inside, my footsteps making echoed taps on the floor. I was suddenly aware of all the shadows around me, and how easy it would be to just reach out...

I slammed a mental lid on my power. No way was I going to lose control--not after the countless years I spent perfecting it.

There was a muffled crash and the sound of breaking glass. A shock ran through my body, every muscle seizing up and my senses on high alert. I stood frozen, listening as a string of soft curses reached my ears.

There's no way...I thought as I crept forward and turned the corner.

Keefe stood with his back to me, fiddling with something in his bag. Beyond him was the entrance to Dame Alina's office, the door ajar and an unpleasant smell wafting from inside. Broken vials littered the ground, and colorful liquid made puddles around his feet.

"Keefe?" I said, my voice jarring in the silence.

Keefe whirled around to face me, the surprise on his face fading to annoyance. "Oh. It's you. What are you doing here, Bangs Boy?"

I crossed my arms, my own shock melting into annoyance as well. "I could ask you the same thing."

"I asked you first."

"You got here first."

"What does that have to do with anything?"

I sighed. "Just answer the question, Sencen."

Keefe glared at me. "Fine. I'm pranking Dame Alina. What are you doing here? Because this is my rightful pranking spot, by the way. I claimed it in Level One."

I rolled my eyes. "Excuse me, Your Highness."

"You still haven't answered my question," he reminded me. "Why are you here?"

I was silent for a second, thinking about what to say. "I needed a break."

"From...?"

I glared at him. "None of your business."

Keefe crossed his arms. "Fine. Don't tell me. But this is my pranking spot. Find somewhere else to roam around brooding."

Wow. This guy was a professional.

"Fine," I said angrily. "I wouldn't want to intrude on your precious 'Pranking Spot'."

I turned as stormed back down the hall, pushing the door open and feeling the cold night air rush over me. I took a deep breath. This really wasn't my night.

I leaned against the wall of Foxfire, crossing my arms against the cold. I should've brought a cloak or something.

Keefe didn't have a cloak either, I realized. He must have left in a hurry.

I frowned, staring at the faint outlines of the other buildings. But why would he do that?

It hit me after a second. Because he left for the same reason I did.

I was tempted to go back inside and see if I could get him to talk, but reason put a stop to that. What was I gonna do? March back in there, confront him and have him spill everything? More likely, he'd continue to shoot barbs at me until I leave or smack him. 

But his father was obviously being a jerk. I knew what that was like. Was I supposed to just leave him to deal with this on his own?

I huffed. Stupid compassion.

I groaned and pushed off the wall, opening the door and stepping inside. I'm going to regret this.

I followed the smell, which was growing by the second. I rolled my eyes--Keefe's pranks were too garrish, too up in your face. It's why he got caught so often.

I found him closing and locking the door to Dame Alina's office, his bag strapped across his shoulders. He turned and jumped.

"Jeez! Would you quite appearing like that? It's freaky!"

I gave him an unimpressed look. "I didn't appear."

"I beg to differ."

My faith in this plan was steadily dropping. What was I thinking? Keefe didn't even like me as an acquaintance, let alone someone he'd actually confide in.

"Look," I said, putting my hands out, palms down. "I just wanted to see if you were okay. I know you came here because your father was being a--"

Keefe held up a hand. "Stop right there. I don't need a therapist, okay? My father's always been like that, and nothing's going to change. So, if you don't mind, I should get home before these stink bombs go off. Feel free to stay if you want."

He shouldered past me, and I snorted. Typical. I'd expected as much.

Keefe paused at the door and titled his head upward, turning towards me. "When you said you needed a break..."

I raised my eyebrows and crossed my arms, shifting my weight. "Finally figured it out, huh?"

Keefe avoided my eyes. "Looks like we're in the same boat, then."

"Looks like we are."

There was a short silence, and Keefe nodded. "Hope it gets better. See ya around, Tam."

"You too," I said, and Keefe disappeared through the door. I waited a second, before remembering the stink bombs. I sighed and walked out the door, taking my crystal and leaping home. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow. That was amazingly bad. Sorry for people who wanted a good Kam fanfic, that was.....agh