eleven

The gigantic dial in the MACUSA lobby was showing the Magical Exposure Threat Level

The gigantic dial in the MACUSA lobby was showing the Magical Exposure Threat Level. The hand moved from SEVERE to EMERGENCY. Tina, the case in hand, ran up the lobby steps, past witches and wizards huddled in groups who were whispering nervously.

"Our American friends have permitted a breach of the Statute of Secrecy..."

The Pentagram Office was an impressive hall arranged like an old parliament debating chamber. Every seat was occupied by wizards from all parts of the world. Madam Picquery was presiding with Graves by her side. The Swiss delegate was speaking.

"...that threatens to expose us all."

"I will not be lectured by the man who let Gellert Grindelwald slip through his fingers - "

A hologram of Senator Shaw's dead body floated in the middle of the room. People could hear the sound of her shoes clicking.

"Madam President, I'm so sorry to interrupt, but this is critical - "

"You'd better have an excellent excuse for this intrusion, Miss Goldstein," Madam Picquery announced.

"Yes, I do," Tina replied. "Ma'am. Yesterday, a wizard entered New York with a case. This case full of magical creatures, and - unfortunately - some have escaped."

"He arrived yesterday?" her voice rose. "You have known for twenty-four hours that an unregistered wizard set magical beasts loose in New York and you see fit to tell us only when a man has been killed?"

Tina looked frightened. "Who... Who's been killed?"

Madam Picquery looked up and Tina followed her line of vision to see Senator Shaw.

"Where is this man?" Madam Picquery asked, getting straight to the point.

Tina set the suitcase on the floor and knocked on it. Newt slowly opened the lid and sheepishly peeked out. Soon, he, Neeki, and Jacob stepped out.

"Scamander?" a British envoy asked.

"Oh - uh - hello, Minister," Newt responded.

"Theseus Scamander? The war hero?" Momolu Wotorson asked.

"No, this is his little brother," the British envoy replied. "And what in the name of Merlin are you doing in New York?"

"I came here to buy an Appaloosa Puffskein, sir."

"Goldstein - and who are they?" Madam Picquery asked.

"That's Neeki, Madam President. She's a Squib who works under Mr. Scamander. And that is Jacob Kowalski, Madam President. He's a No-Maj who got bitten by one of Mr. Scamander's creatures," Tina answered.

"No-Maj? Obliviated?" the Minister whispered.

Newt saw Senator Shaw's body. "Merlin's beard," he whispered.

"Do you know which of your creatures was responsible for this?" Madam Ya Zhou asked.

"No creature did this. Don't pretend! You must know what that was. Look at the marks. This was an Obscurus," Newt revealed.

Murmurs filled the jury.

"You go too far, Mr. Scamander. There is no Obscurial in America. Impound that case, Graves!" Madam Picquery demanded.

Graves took out his wand and took Newt's case away.

"No, give that back!" Newt demanded.

"Arrest them!"

"No, don't hurt those creatures! Please, you don't understand! Nothing in there is dangerous, nothing!" Newt cried out as Aurors apprehended him and Neeki.

She hissed as multiple hands grabbed her. She reached for Newt with her hand. He extended his arm. They only managed to touch fingertips before they were pulled apart.

Neeki cried out in frustration before transforming into a black panther. She weaved her way out of the Aurors' hands and growled at them as she landed on her paws.

"Apprehend that beast!" Madam Picquery ordered.

Neeki let out a fierce cry as a horde of Aurors ambushed her.