36

I stomped over to my neighbor's house. He claims he knows more about my life than I do. Which is strange considering it's my life and I don't even have the slightest clue on who the fuck he is.

I pounded my knuckles against his wooden door. His front door was the exact same as mine.

The door slowly opened up to the same boy I remembered who lived here. Things in my mind have been pretty mixed up lately. I don't know what I remember and what is just a figment of my imagination.

"Why has no one come to see me, huh?"

"What?"

I exhaled loudly, "I said, why has no one come to see me yet?"

"Everly, listen—"

"Ryland, you claim you know everything about my life. You say i've been in some terrible, tragic accident. If it was so bad, why has not one person come to check up on me? Either I was in a bad accident or you're lying!"

"Everly, I never said I knew everything about your life. If anything, that's why we were having issues. Because you didn't tell me everything going on."

"No, do not add on to what I have going on right now. Our problems are at the bottom of my list."

Maybe I was being a bit harsh but I was upset. I wanted answers I knew I couldn't give myself. Maybe I wasn't as mad with his as I was irritated with my own head.

"If you're not lying, then I literally don't matter to anyone enough to come out of a six month coma and just get one visit. Not one."

"Two." He said.

"Excuse me?"

"The minute I saw you were home I came to check on you. I know our problems are on the bottom of your list, though, so you don't have to include that."

That's right. He did come over. It was kind of creepy but he did come over. He even offered me help to try and remember everything and I denied. Her I am, though, begging for what I had told him I didn't need. Desperate for the thing I thought I didn't want. I guess I wanted to see if I could remember myself. Obviously not.

"Ryland, I need your help."

"I know."

At that, I really wanted to punch him in his -oddly- extremely sharp jawline. But he was only just being brutally honest. That's something I really didn't want but something especially needed. Honesty is what I came here for, isn't it.

I followed him into his house and flinched a little bit at the sound of the door being closed behind me. It was quite nerve-racking being in this kid's house considering I've never met him before. Or maybe I have but that doesn't mean I shouldn't still be cautious. I have no idea who this man was to me. For all I know he could've been the one to put me into the coma I spent six months under.

"Are your parents home?" I ask curiously.

"At work."

Why is he so short to every answer? Did I do something wrong? Well, I did kind of come over here yelling at him. Oops.

"Brother or sister? I'd love to meet-"

"She died a long time ago."

"I'm sorry," My mouth dropped in awe but I attempted not to make it obvious.

"You would've loved her, Everly. She was so amazing. She was the most supportive person in my life. But the best people are always taken from you. All of them, it seems." His eyes glistened as he talked about her.

"I shouldn't have brought it up..."

"No, it's alright. You didn't even know that before your coma. I want you to know about her. She would roll over in her grave if she heard the way people talked about her after she died. She was the sweetest, most perfect person in my eyes. Until I met you."

I didn't want to hear this. I really couldn't hear this. All I wanted was information. What If he is lying? What If he's actually some creepy weird dude who lives next door to me.

"Listen, I really just want to know why Peightyn hasn't come to see me. How did I even go into a coma? Who the hell are you? Who the hell is Ezra?" I could've went on with a million more questions but I could tell I was already a pain in the ass.

Ryland Aries went on to tell me everything. Just as he said he would. It turns out Peightyn isn't my best friend anymore, so I basically have NO friends now. She was always the social one, not me. Why would she not be my best friend anymore? What could've happened? We were literally inseparable since birth.

He also told me that him and I met through math class and that he was actually my tutor, which really surprised me. Ezra, the kid from the hospital, is actually Ryland's best friend who has a really unique personality and they would apparently do anything for each other. Considering Ezra snuck into my hospital room claiming he was my brother and risking going to jail really does prove that he would do anything for Ryland. I've met the kid, his personality is more than unique.

My coma was induced after serious trauma to the head from being attacked my a man who was said to be after Ezra. I guess I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. And the boy who was being dragged out of my hospital room that day by security was in fact Ryland.

I just don't understand why Ryland is so obsessed with getting me to remember him. If my neighbor lost their memory, I don't think I'd be this determined to help them get it back. And the doctor said that most of the recent memories should come back soon and he seemed to know that. Why not just wait?

And I asked him exactly that, "Why not just wait?"

And he said softly, "Oh god, because I can't wait any longer. I can't lose two of the best people in my life."
________________________________

hey babes

i know this chapter was quite boring but it'll mean something soon.

and i just wanna say i love when y'all leave comments on my chapters they make me laugh so much. i love reading them so leave as many comments as you wish i love it ❤️

i will try to get another chapter up this week or next but i'm trying to stay updating frequently

love you all through everything

thank you for reading

buh-byeeeeeeee!

-BlackMidnights