Chapter 31

I had just finished preparing breakfast when Lexi and Zach emerged from his bedroom, a tell-tale exhaustion lingering on their faces. I didn't need to be a mind reader to guess what they had been up to last night. 

"Mmm, something smells super good!" Zach said, stretching his arms high above his head. 

"I made breakfast for you guys since I don't have uni today," I announced, placing sizzling bacon rashers onto their plates and serving them with a warm smile. It's remarkable how a hearty meal can instantly uplift someone's mood.

"Aw, thanks, babe. Your bacon and eggs are exactly what I need this morning," Lexi said, her gaze shifting from me to Zach. As he glanced at her, his fork wavered, causing an egg to tumble down. Lexi playfully fed him a bite from her own plate, gently wiping a trace of food from the corner of his mouth with her thumb. Sensing their need for privacy, I turned away, pretending to busy myself with the dishes.

"Hey, Mase, breakfast's ready!" I called out, scrubbing the pan vigorously.

"Yes, Mother!" Mason responded, leaning against the kitchen doorway. I startled, not realizing he was awake already.

"Are you catching a ride with us today, Quinn?" Mason asked, taking his plate from the counter and settling into a seat.

"I don't have uni today," I replied with a shake of my head. The truth was, I had been informed by the business office that I couldn't continue this semester due to outstanding fees. I hadn't mustered the courage to share the news yet. But that was okay; I didn't mind finding a second job during the day to make up for it. I just didn't want to burden anyone with my problems. It was my mess to clean up.

"What will you do all day, then?" Mason asked, watching me intently as he slowly savoured his breakfast.

"I have some errands to run," I replied, intentionally keeping my response vague.

"Do you need a ride?" he offered, gathering the plates and carrying them to the sink.

"Thanks for breakfast, Quinn. It hit the spot," Zach chimed in, offering a grateful smile as he and Lexi disappeared back into the bedroom.

"Oh, a ride? No, it's alright. I could use the exercise," I declined, not wanting to impose on Mason any further. He gently turned my face to meet his gaze, holding it with unwavering intensity.

"If you ever need anything, just ask me. I would do anything for you, Quinn," he said, brushing my bangs behind my ear, causing our faces to draw closer. Uncertain of how to respond, I nodded, avoiding his intense gaze by looking down at the ground.

Would he truly do anything for me? Or were those words reserved for friendships? Well, I would do anything for Lexi, so perhaps it held true.

From the corner of my eye, I watched as Mason walked out to his car, exhaling a breath I didn't realize I was holding. Living with him was proving to be more challenging than I anticipated. He always looked and smelled so enticingly irresistible, like a temptation constantly dangling before me. I knew I needed to find my own place soon before my resolve crumbled. Each passing day weakened my resistance, and I wasn't sure how much longer I could resist the magnetic pull that seemed to grow stronger with every moment spent under the same roof.

 Each passing day weakened my resistance, and I wasn't sure how much longer I could resist the magnetic pull that seemed to grow stronger with every moment spent under the same roof