Wattpad Original

Original Edition: CHAPTER 41 - MYS

September 9 | Late Night

Aurie said, "That was probably childish of me."

I covered a smile as Zyr's partner pointed at the table with mouth agape, fumbling for words. Tegan finally managed, "How did you do that?"

The detective glared at our friendly ghost. "I didn't. I think you better sit down, Tegan. We need to talk," he said. An hour later, our guest sat next to him on the couch. I sprawled on the floor with my back against the wall and Aurie's head in my lap. I stroked her hair, not caring that it was weird to the normie.

"You know none of this makes sense, right?" Tegan said for the umpteenth time.

"Yeah, I know, Tegan," Zyr sighed.

"You know why, right? Because—"

He cut her off, saying, "If you believe in Overlay City, a disembodied Soul isn't much of a stretch. I need you on standby to get Mys and Aurie out of here if trouble shows up tomorrow. From there, we play it by ear. Can you commit to that?"

"Sure, sure! I've got some time-off to spare, but Mys should be in charge of keeping up with...Aurie...since I can't see her."

"Thank you." Zyr visibly relaxed. "Were you able to find everything okay at my place?"

"Yep. Brought the duffle bag from under that trap door in your closet, and I grabbed the box with everything we have on the Cyprian case. Everything's in the car. It's a burner car, and I also bought burner phones. Take the battery out of yours now."

"Perfect! You've thought of everything. I'll bring in your bags in a moment. Let me show you the loft. This isn't the Ritz, but there's a bed up there. Want to take a walk-through?" he asked.

Zyr led his partner up the stairs. Behind his back, the redhead gave him an adoring look. My Empathy picked up on the history he tried to pretend didn't exist. The detective was over her, but Tegan was nowhere near done with him. Such an outstanding amount of yearning poured off her. It was almost like she was obsessed.

"Are they together?" Aurie asked. I shook my head as my eyes followed them into the loft. "What are her intentions?"

"To be of service," I murmured.

"But she wants him. She's so pretty. Ugh! I've never been insecure in my life. What the hell is going on with me? My unfinished business doesn't need this," she groaned.

"You're falling for him," I deduced. Moments later Zyr and Tegan descended the stairs and exited the cabin, chatting with the synergy of two people who had known each other a long time. They ignored us, which was fine by me. Almost. I blew out a breath and admitted, "We both are."

Aurie faced me. "What are we gonna do about it?" she asked.

"Make the most of whatever time we have left."