SIX

"care, i just had the weirdest conversation with lucas" max said, approaching caroline as she walked into the school

"max listen to me, i need to talk to you later" caroline said, stopping max before walking into their science class

"ok sure, we can talk later, but lucas he-" she said, trying to walk off

"in private"

"okay, okay, your house at 5?" max said holding her hands out, deciding to give caroline what she wanted, her agreement.

"that works, but please don't ask me anything about it today and don't, under any circumstances, tell anybody" caroline said, handing her a small folded up sheet of paper.

max nodded, she had only known the girl for a few days, but so far caroline was the only person she trusted in Hawkins, and she was never this serious. that clue alone told maxine that this was probably a serious problem, but she couldn't quite get her mind off the conversation she had with lucas sinclair. will byers went missing in the woods and some other kid died in the quarry within the same week, but, only will was missing. there was never a second 'missing persons case'. something didn't line up, but she chose to not argue with lucas or anybody else, after all, she was new. but it just confused on her on what could be so confidential, he'd have to lie.

the confused redhead walked into her science class closely behind caroline and took her seat in the back, seconds before the bell sounded and mr clarke began talking. something was off about today, something was missing.

"good morning, passengers!" mr clarke stated,  gathering his final few supply items to start his lesson of today.

a few subtle 'mornings' surfaced in different voices among the class as mr. clarke began to teach his lesson. "ok so today, we're talking about... phineas gage!"

max transitioned her eyes and ears from mr clarke's lesson on phineas gage to the piece of paper caroline had slipped into her hand before entering the class

she unwrapped it quietly and quickly, silently hoping it wouldn't make enough noise to distract mr clarke or anybody else in the room. but with the mayfield luck, it distracted.

"max, put it away" mr clarke said, almost directing everyone's attention, including lucas and caroline's towards the girl

"yes, i'm sorry. my bad" the girl said quickly, crumbling the almost unfolded sheet of paper and throwing it into her backpack.

"it's alright. now class the case of phineas gage is one of the great medical curiosities of all time. phineas was a railroad worker in 1848 who had a nightmarish accident. a large iron rod was driven completely through his head. phineas miraculously survived, he seemed fine, and physically, yes, he was. but his injury resulted in a complete change in his personality. so much so that friends who knew him started referring to him as 'no longer gage' at the time this was known as the american crowbar case although it wasn't a crowbar-"

caroline threw her head down onto the wooden desk once dustin henderson raced into the class. she was frustrated with him, and lucas for that matter, the two of them completely ditched her on halloween, and basically stole max from in mike's words the best night of the year. not to mention dustin had just interrupted a story that made her life sound a little less crazy, which is probably why she wanted to listen. "i'm so sorry mr clarke. really i'm so sorry, please continue with the class. don't mind me. really continue, please. thanks"