one

Everyone expected it. 

Sean and Kaycee, best friends and dance partners since she was fifteen and he was sixteen. The chemistry and connection were so evident that everyone thought they would end up together, but to their surprise, they didn't. 

Not because they weren't in love, but because it took Sean too long to realize his feelings and, when he did, there was already someone else in her life.

Kaycee got a boyfriend — she wasn't really in love with him, because she loved her best friend, but after years of waiting she started to believe that he would never feel the same for her, so she decided to move on.

The boyfriend was very different from her but he was also kind and seemed to really like her, so she learned to like him too, she may be even have loved him at some point — and they dated for two years without much problem, but then that weekend happened.

She had flown with Sean to Australia for a dance workshop. On the first night of their stay, they ended up drinking a little too much. When she woke up that morning, she realized that not only was she in Sean's hotel room but that his arms were wrapped around her naked body while he was sleeping peacefully.

She didn't know how to feel about it. When he woke up, they almost fought over what happened. Except that he then admitted to having been in love with her for a long time — and she ended up admitting the same.

They went the rest of the week loving each other in a new way, but still in the friendship zone because they didn't want for their relationship to start as cheating — so they decided to only do things once they were back in LA and she had broken up with her boyfriend.

Well, that was what they planned, but it wasn't what life had in stored for them.

[a year and five months before the epilogue] 

Kaycee got home that afternoon, after the longest flight of her life, she was nervous about everything that was about to change but she was also excited to be finally putting her life on track, the way she always wanted and expected it to be.

The week having Sean by her side, knowing that he loved her just as much as she loved him, was the best she ever had — even with them still acting as only dance partners and best friends. So in the cab back to the apartment she shared with her best friend, she kept thinking about how she was going to end everything with her boyfriend as soon as she walked through the door 'cause she hoped he would be there to see her.

Only that she walked into an empty apartment. It was the middle of the day, so Tahani was working, but she had left a note on the fridge saying that Gabe had left a message on the answering machine.

Kaycee walked over to the machine and pressed play. Before the message played, she walked to the room to put her luggage down and then went back to the kitchen for some apple juice that she's been craving. 

A message from her boyfriend started: "Kaycee, I tried to talk with you but I think your phone was out because of the airplane. I'm about to get on a plane too, Will needed me to cover him in the New York master workshop. I was dying to see you but I'll be back in two weeks. Hope your flight was good. I'll call you when I land, alright? love you, babe." — beep.

The apple juice she wanted so much left her nauseated as she realized she would have to wait two more weeks to finally end everything with Gabe, two more weeks till she could be with Sean with nothing holding her back.