|Thirty Four|

"Owen, no." I whisper harshly as he holds my shoulders firmly, but gently enough not to scare me. His enthralling aqua eyes gazing deep into my own as I plead, "I'm not going back to the house, I'm coming with you,"

"You're not coming with me, Zoe. I've got to keep you safe," Giving a sympathetic smile whilst placing one of his hands over my stomach and kissing my nose, he whispers, "Both of you,"

I give a scoff and push his hand away from my stomach, "But who's going to watch your back?" I can't stop the overwhelming tears from cascading down my hot cheeks. I angrily swipe them away with my shaking hand as Owen pulls me close, kissing the top of my head and giving me a tight squeeze. I hated the idea of him going out into the valley, even if it was to find two young boys who refused to come back to the safety of the park. I hated that he had to leave me behind, even if it's the safer option. I would much rather have Owen at my side in such a crisis. 

"I wasn't in the Navy for nothing," he mumbles against my hair as we pull apart, wiping a stray tear with the pad of his calloused thumb and tilting his head slightly to admire my face; burning every freckle and happy wrinkle into his mind for safe keeping... just in case.

"Come on, Princess. Let's get you into the jeep," Owen guides me into the front of the silver jeep that I climb into easily. My head going light at the change in temperate in the air conditioned vehicle. Claire hopping into the back with an audible huff as Owen joins me in the front. A small gleam of excitement twinkling in his eye as the engine roars to life and he pulls away; leaving dust in our tracks as we head off into the intense jungle.

🦕🦕🦕

The half-an- hour drive to our bungalow seemed to take forever, yet be the shortest journey imaginable. Swarms of wasps seeming to be jumbling around in my nervous stomach as Owen cuts the engine and hops out; walking beside my petite body as we ascend the porch steps and unlock the front door. Both of us being instantly bombarded with hugs and kisses from Solo as he welcomes us back.

"Hey boy," Owen coos at the huge Great Dane that stands on his hind legs to rest his paws over Owens shoulders so he could give him a good lick, "Ugh, that's disgusting," Owen wipes his face with the back of his hand as Solo looses interest and turns his attention back to myself as he rubs against my legs happily.

Owen wanders off into the bedroom and I'm about to follow until Solo places himself between myself and the door, growling defensively. Turning around, I notice a petrified looking Claire standing on the porch as she looks at the huge dog.

"Easy, big boy," I whisper, stroking Solo's smooth head as I move away from the doorway and invite Claire inside our small, cosy, home. "As long as you don't come anywhere near me, he'll be fine," I whisper that quietly I'm surprised she heard. Quickly, she makes her way to the opposite end of the small lounge and admires all our family photos. Some of Owen and I's wedding where we are wandering along on the beach hand- in- hand with ecstatic smiles gracing our faces. I was wearing an elegant, white, summers dress whilst Owen had on a pair of smart grey pants and a crisp shirt. Others included pictures of us as a family, including Solo and Daniel who has a cheeky grin on his face that matches his fathers as we sit on the porch steps. Or Daniel and Solo running around in the grass just outside the bungalow happily. I could see the haunting, longing, look on Claire's face.

"Water?" I offer shyly, bringing a cool bottle out of the fridge and passing it to the strong business woman as she accepts politely. I begin playing with Solo's ears nervously as he rubs his head against my waist, the huge dog sensing my nerves, and settle into an awkward silence with my boss.