Chapter 8

"Subject 42 continues living normally, no sight of continuously using ability, though is known to still have it. Will continue to watch from a distance and keep my voice down."

Shit, they are still following me?!

I sighed and walked into the pizza place.

I sat down as Amber ordered my favorite pizza: cheese stuffed crust with light sauce and extra cheese.

I could just sway out of enjoyment to this pizza.

In the distance, I seen someone sit down at another table and they looked a little shady, but I pretended not to notice.

Amber then comes to sit down and she looks at me.

"You good?"

"Yeah, just a lot on my mind."

"The food?"

I grinned. "Funny." I sighed. "But no."

"What is it?"

I whipped my phone out and texted her.

-I'm being followed again.. act like I didn't tell you and I'm talking about something else.-

"It's not a big deal..."

"Oh, ok.." she nodded, signaling she read the message. "So do you think, you know, it'll happen again?"

I gave a small look of confusion.

"With the fire?"

That was our code word for EMBER..

"I mean, I hope not. I hope I can put it out quicker if it happens again."

"Yeah, just don't get burned in the process." She gave a sarcastic laugh.

I'm so glad we have a way to talk about EMBER without them knowing we're talking about them.

"Subject 42 doesn't seem up to anything, will continue watching until they leave."

Shit, so he won't leave? We're gonna have to watch what we say, and I'm facing directly at him basically so I have to be extra careful.

"Kami?"

"Hm?" I responded as the pizza arrived at our table.

"Check out this cool new game."

She showed me her screen and it had a message on there. 'Is the guy still here? I can't continuously use the code word in certain sentence formats or it'll not make sense.'

"Yeah, that does look cool." I paused. And grabbed a piece of pizza and started eating.
I then realize the guy gets up and walks out of the building, but I hear a faint sound.

I give a look to Amber, as if saying 'don't speak yet.'

I get up and act like I need some seasoning and walk past the table the guy was at and seen what looked like a transmitter.

He bugged it so he could still hear us.. well shit, it's not safe to stay here if we have to watch what we say.

I grab the seasoning and go back to the table. "Need some?" I said, slightly bearing my teeth down.

She looked at me and I guess she seen I was slightly agitated and knew not to say anything, so she just took it and nodded, understanding.

We continue eating and didn't say a word until we left.

I looked around and made sure I wasn't being followed, then checked to make sure neither of us were bugged.

"Ok, it's safe now."

"Oh thank god."

I groaned loudly.

"So he bugged the table so he could walk off and still hear us?"

"Yep, and thankfully for my passive abilities, I was able to tell."

"Heh, yeah.."

"So what now? I can't keep living like this if they're gonna keep following me."

"You dealt with it in school.."

"But I had a different mindset."

"You still kind of do."

"Yea, that I know I can beat them, and i know I still can, but that's not the issue.."

"What is then?"

"These guys are overstepping their boundaries over something that happened years ago."

"You're not wrong."

"And I don't know why they're still trying to keep it secret when I'm sure that those guys that revealed their plans still work there, or at least had informed their boss.."

"You're right, that's strange.."

I then suddenly heard a loud noise in the distance.

"The hell-?"

Amber and I rush over and seen a girl standing there, eyes glowing, with some guy cowering.

The girl was a tall blonde with red ends, and had blue eyes. It's almost like an evil twin of me. I chuckled at that thought.

"Watch where the hell you're going man!" The girl screamed.

"Hey!" I called. "What's going on?"

"Kami, don't." Amber whispered

"What the hell do you want?" The girl glared at me.

"Maybe you should show a little kindness to others."

"Why would I? He was in my way."

"Doesn't give you the right to go beating him up."

"What gives you the right to tell me what to do?"

I activated my ability and observed her with clairvoyance.

Name: Ruby
Age: 19
Ability: Shapeshifter
Level: 4.6

"Come one, Ruby, don't be like that."

"How-" she was taken back from my knowledge.

I felt a tap on my shoulder and seen Amber looking at me, hoping I knew what I was doing.

I stood there, waiting for Ruby to make a move.

"I don't have time for you." She growled and transformed into a tiger and snarled at me.

You could still tell it was her because the eyes were glowing.

"Nice try." I snarked.

She growled and attempted to jump at me but I ducked and kicked her in the air. I heard a slight yelp of confusion.

I seen groups of people surrounding us and I could hear the murmurs as I fought back.

Does that girl look familiar.

I think so, and if I'm thinking correctly, the one that started a fight should be scared.

I would be if I went against her.

The shapeshifter girl has no chance of winning, why is she trying?

I can sense the huge level difference between the two.

Ruby came crashing down and so I jumped up and hopped on her back and pinched her neck enough so she couldn't move.

She was then laying on the ground, and returned back to her human form, ability disabled.

"Why can't you mid tiers learn your lesson."

Ruby then slowly opens her eyes and glances up at me.

"It's elite tier, know-it-all." She then coughed and stared at me. "Who even are you?"