|Thirty Six|

Pulling up rapidly outside the large, grey, raptor paddock that was swimming in flood lights at the large scale operation occurring since the hot sun set a few minuets ago. The coolness of the night now creeping in and nipping at the hairs on the back of our necks. I glance wearily over at Owen as his eyes land on Hoskins waddling towards the jeep with a smug smile on his face.

Instantly, Owen leaps out of the jeep and so do I hot on his heels. Solo, launching from the back and out the door that Claire open to keep up with us. Solo, instantly at my side as I run to keep up with my furious husband and I just beat him to it when I punch Hoskins in the face.

A small amount of pain exploding over my hand as I connect my fist with his cheek bone. Sending the large man stumbling back slightly as Solo is then between us with his teeth bared and standing defensively in front of me. Owen wrapping his arms around my small frame to prevent me from going for the horrible man again.

Not that I would, because the amount of satisfaction I got from that is dramatically outweighed by my fear of Hoskins retaliation.

"Stay away from my animals!" Owen seethes as his grip round my waist looses and he squares up to Hoskins; myself hiding behind Solo and Owen now just in case Hoskins tried to lunge for me.

"Whoa, do you always get your bitch to do your dirty work for you-" The despicable man hadn't even gotten the sentence out of his mouth before Owen connected his strong fist with the large mans face once again. This one having more impact and knocking him off his feet. Shouldn't have insulted an Alpha's girl. You're gonna have to face the consequences for that; to which Hoskins is leaning right now as his cradles his face in his plump hands as he rises from the dirt at our feet unsteadily.

"Hoskins you son of a bítch. You wanted this to happen," Claire spits from the other side of Owen as they both step forward threateningly. Solo at Owens side and myself safely behind them all. My hands shaking a tremendous amount at the awful rush that accompanied such an impulsive, violent, action. My stomach rolled at the though and I had to concentrate hard on keeping the small handful of food I had consumed earlier to stay down.

"Jesus! How many people have to die before this mission starts making sense to you," Hoskins spits, "It's not a mission, it's a field test," The glare he focuses on Owen could burn his soul, if Owen wasn't directing an even deadlier glare at the over sized man.

"This is an inGen situation now, okay. There are going to be cruise ships that show up here at first light. Everybody's gonna get off this island..."

Wherther that be alive or dead, I though sullenly.

"...You're gonna watch news reports tomorrow about how you all saved lives. No, better yet, how your animals saved lives," Hoskins was trying to sell this idea as if it were like buying a beach house in the Bahama's.

"They've never been out of containment," Owen whispered,

"It's crazy," I whisper to Owen as I move to his side and squeeze his large hand reassuringly.

"Let's move it out!" Hoskin shouts, making me jump against Owen, "This is happening, with or without you." The cold chill to his voice having the hairs on the back of my neck standing to attention.

Turning his plump body on his heels, Hoskin's moves over towards the vigilant team of soldiers that were patrolling all around us. The humid heat of evening sticking to my skin and the uncomfortable trickle of perspiration running down my temple.

Holding my breath, Owen turns to face me and takes my hot cheeks in his hands. I almost drown in the raw mixture of emotions pooling in his vibrant eyes,

"No," I whisper. My breath a lump in my throat that had a strangled noise escaping my plump lips as Owen pulls me into his chest tightly. His arms encasing me in a blanket of security as he buries his head in the crook of my neck. Solo, pushing his way between us as we try to hold onto each other as if this would be our last embrace.

Pulling back, I rest my forehead on Owens before he kisses me passionately, his brows furrowing when we pull apart.   It wasn't a messy kiss; more kind and tender. Pouring every emotion we had into that one moment that told of all the possible stories we are yet to live in our future, if we survive this evening. 

"I'm gonna go get my bike. I want you to stay out of trouble while I go get it and somehow convince Claire to get the boys into that truck," Owen says softy, pointing over his shoulder to the large truck that looks almost like a reconstructed ambulance. 

"Why do I get stuck babysitting?" I whisper as I pull Owen back into a tight hug. Never wanting to let him go.

"Because I'm an idiot that won't back down to a puff like Hoskins'. Someone's gotta show him who's boss round here, because it certainly ain't him," His sly smirk drawing out a shy one of my own before my face falls. 

"You've done some crazy things today, but riding a motor cycle with raptors is the last straw!" I whisper harshly, my brows furrowing at him as I pull away slowly. A small amount of anger flaring at how relaxed he appears to be about this situation. I know his time with the Navy would have prepared him for dealing with stressful situations and adapting to the unknown, but this is the type of situation that is unique and will never, hopefully, be repeated again.

So Owen just has to get this all right, and come back to me. 

Alive.

Preferably in one piece.