Chapter 36

After my shower in the main house, I made my way back to the pool house and lay on my bed, staring at the ceiling, trying to unravel my jumbled emotions. I couldn't deny that my feelings for Mason had grown stronger than I had anticipated.

If he attempted to kiss me again, would I let him? Honestly, most likely! Can I trust him not to toy with my emotions? I wasn't entirely certain, but he did mention that he used to view attachment as a negative thing... used to. But who knows? Maybe he understands my mindset and wanted me to let my guard down. I just needed some clarity on what to do next!

"Hey, Quinnie, mind if I join you?" Lexi peeked through the door, cracking it open. I patted the space next to me on the bed, and she entered, sighing in unison. I proceeded to recount the whole ordeal with my father.

"Wow, what a jerk! I mean, no offense, but what a royal ass," Lexi's face reddened as she clenched her fists in anger.
"It's alright, Lex. At least Mason was there. He stepped in and protected me," I replied, observing her with a mix of curiosity and anticipation.
"Mason, huh? I wanted to talk to you more about that, without him around. You two seemed pretty cozy when we walked in," she raised her eyebrows, seeking answers. I cringed, recalling how close we had been.
"Okay, yes, I was showing him my tattoos... and we were about to kiss, but we didn't. Part of me is relieved we didn't, though. He might have seen it as a mistake and then sent us packing, leaving us homeless. I just don't want things to become awkward, especially if it jeopardizes your future as well," I explained, cracking my knuckles. Lexi rolled over and propped her head on her hand.

"Babe, come on. He would never do that, especially considering what he's said about you," confusion flickered in my eyes, causing Lexi to immediately cover her mouth.

"Oh, shit! I mean... look, Quinnie, he has nothing but nice things to say about you, alright? But my lips are sealed. Just trust me?" she squinted, awaiting my possible anger towards her. Of course, I trusted her. She had been the one to move out here with me when I had no one else. She had earned my trust, even though she had spilled my tattoo secret. I simply nodded and twirled a strand of hair between my fingers, feeling a slight frustration. As much as I wanted to pry and inquire about what Mason had said, I knew she didn't want me to ask, so I refrained. We laid there in silence for another minute, the awkwardness hanging in the air.

"You know, Zach wants me to meet his parents now," Lexi said dreamily.
"Yeah? You mentioned it went well, but wow. He must have really liked your parents," I smiled, sitting up.
"Yup! His parents want to fly us out when they both have a day off from work so we can get to know each other. I never thought I'd find my soulmate in university of all places, but I truly believe he's the one," she clasped a silver heart locket in her hand, sighing deeply. I jumped to my feet and playfully bounced her on the bed.

"Sexy Lexi and Zach Attack are going to get married, have babies, and live happily ever after!" I sang, while she giggled uncontrollably, flopping around on the bed. It was easier to divert the attention to her and Zach. Discussing Mason only fuelled my frustration and left me with more unanswered questions.

After we both settled down from bouncing on the bed like a trampoline, she decided it was time for her to get some rest.
"I'm going to hit the hay," she pointed to the door.
"You mean hit Zach's bed?" I smirked mischievously. She threw a pillow at me before opening the door.
"Yes!" she quickly retorted, shutting my door to prevent any further retaliation. She left me with a wide grin on my face, my cheeks aching from smiling so much. Lexi deserved to be treated right by a guy for once, and I was glad she had finally found it.

As for me, I was a tangled mess of emotions.