12.5 The Covenant and the Heavenly Tribulation

The emperor simply dismissed Jiang XeXun and proceeded to the meeting. Since Lang Yuan has no idea what these people are talking about, he excused himself and decided to return to his room. Yu XueQin ordered his shadow guards to keep an eye to his wife once Lang Yuan left the room.

As a human who interacted to the dragon gods for the most of time, to walk in a place with no surge of godly aura made Lang Yuan adjust faster than usual. He wandered around for a while rather than heading straight to his room. The servants around him only guided him to safe places where he can casually interact with a few disciples.

Since he was crowned as an Empress, Lang Yuan's status to the human realm drastically changed from nobody to a queen. By just simply walking around caused a lot of people bow down to the ground to show their respect. Though Lang Yuan is a human, his reputation of having a strong cultivation marked the fear to the hearts of the weaker force.

What is there to fear ba? Lang Yuan is kind hearted. There is no way that he will hurt someone so suddenly without reason.

While still loitering around, Lang Yuan came across with the sect's library. It was found somewhere at the middle of the building where a circular door is found. On each side of the doors are statues of dragons that seems to be guarding the place. The passing disciples told him that only a few people are allowed to enter hence not all can have the access to the place.

Of course, due to Lang Yuan's status, he did not need any qualifications to enter. By just simply passing, he managed to have the permission from the two statues letting him see the content of the room. The servants who can't enter called for their master but Lang Yuan seems to be determine to look around the place. After all, libraries are like second home to Lang Yuan.

He only told the servants that he would only stay for an hour or two to browse some books. Since nobody can easily enter the place, the safety inside the library is guaranteed. The servants chose to remain on the door to wait for their master to exit. While the shadow guards who are also stuck outside reported the notion to the emperor.

Lang Yuan quickly swam through the room of information. Since his arrival to this place, he was void with the knowledge to read so he has no confidence on looking some books to read. This made him ignorant thus led him to a lot of hardships before reaching his place. But now that his mind is working well, why waste time and not read? Now that he can finally grasp the things, Lang Yuan will make sure that he will know everything.

The library in this world is indeed different from the modern times. On his previous world, books are printed with dark ink and were bonded by some paste or special glue. The covers are sometimes glossy or hardbound depending on what kind of content it has. Some of the books are rather stapled due to the small amount of pages, while the thick ones required to have a spine stitch to hold all the sheets.

In this library, there are more scrolls than bonded books. They are placed horizontally with the edges facing the front. They are arranged based on their uses than alphabets causing the variety mix all around. The few bounded books are found on a small corner that is mostly composed of biographies or martial art cultivation book.

Lang Yuan randomly pulled a scroll over. The contents of the scroll are about a simple meditation technique that is mostly taught to beginners. He pulled another scroll out again, but this time it was about a medicinal plant and its uses.

His sense of being a part time librarian suddenly ignited. How could this people arrange this stuff like this? If someone would be looking for information, the scrolls should be arranged to relevance than to its uses so nobody would get confused. It's also good to have sections so when people wanted to search on a certain topic, the person would know where it should first look.

Lang Yuan must have forgotten that due to the high restriction of entrance, nobody can clean and arrange the scrolls in an orderly manner.

He was scanning over the scrolls when he came across an old book that seems to be thicker than the usual. It was lying on it cover than standing, maybe due to the weight. Lang Yuan is interested to see what's inside the book so he reached out and took. However, the book did not move according to his intention. Instead, the book only sat up right as if some force made it stand. A sound of a mechanism seems to be moving behind the shelf it was placed startling Lang Yuan on the spot.

Some whirring noises continued to vibrate until a grunt silenced the room. Then, a soft creaking noise hummed when the shelf slowly slides to the side opening a new passage. Lang Yuan only watched the whole scene intently, wondering what kind of flag did he trigger.

Isn't it the same to those stories where the main characters finds a secret passage that leads to a place holds all the truth of the world?

Lang Yuan hesitated as he stared at the passage. He can't see anything from his position because the room after the passage is only filled with darkness. The Library only uses glowing stones as the lighting. That is to avoid the Library from being burned from unattended candles or torches. the glowing stones are attached to the walls and on the ceiling, arranged in a manner that the place would have good lighting in any angle.

He wanted to know what is beyond that passage but he can't just simply pluck a glowing crystal to give him light. Also, the crystals are embedded to the wall by talismans that keep the crystals glowing, and charms that serves as an alarm whenever someone would try to steal it. Lang Yuan stared at the secret passage more, thinking if he should just simply proceed or report it to the emperor.

Yu XueQin is busy so he can't disturb the emperor from doing his duties. JiDan is also taking part of the investigation by being the errand boy that collects the information needed to their meeting. Zhong Song remained on the higher realm to become the substitute regent with Kun Shao on his side. All the people that comes on his every beck and call are all busy and doing their jobs. He doesn't have the conscience to ask them.

"Well, nobody can enter this place easily so I guess nobody is also inside this room."

The Library is currently empty since all the high-qualified scholars are joining the meeting. Well, if there are any other people inside, Lang Yuan would not be so daring to pick out some scrolls without consideration, arranging them to relevance than uses. He managed to get a few scrolls ordered and returned them back to the respective shelves.

So upon his decision, Lang Yuan walked towards the passage and remained on the door frame. The light from the outside created a stretched illumination to the floor to which Lang Yuang found his shadow. He stared at the ground for a while before turning his head around to scan the dark place.

From the shallow movement of the air, Lang Yuan assumed that this dark place is only a small hidden room. From the small outlines that are still visible despite the dark, he can see some shelves standing on each wall holding a few numbers of books in spines. It was totally different from the outside where there are only scrolls on the shelves.

Maybe this is a storage for all the books?

That reason is possible. The scrolls are not arranged so finding topics is hard. It would be harder if books are also mixed in to the crowd. Lang Yuan become excited by the thought of reading a book that he almost let his guard down. He was still to take a step inside when a person suddenly appeared behind him.

A familiar taller shadow overlapped his; Lang Yuan's eyes widened as he turns around to face the person. However, he was not able to do it when the shadow suddenly pushed his shoulders causing him to fall inside the room.

He wanted to stand up but he was already a hundred seconds late. The moment his bottom hit the ground, the shelve that was once open closed in a hurried thud. His world that once contains the brightness was easily shut as the room drowned him to the utter darkness.

==========================================

Yay! I Updated! Happy Chinese New Year everyone! Have a nice day!