[ CHAPTER TWENTY ]

1002, southern france

Biting back the yawn that threatened to supress, Astrid tiredly rubbed her eyes, sending the nameless Lord before her a smile, before politely excusing herself

It was all so tiresome, socialising with pompous Lords and snotty Ladies, and truthfully speaking Astrid couldn't wait to retire to her temporary chambers.

It would be nice to sleep on an actual bed, with soft furs and plush pillows, but most of all, it would be nice to have a peaceful night's sleep without fearing Mikael.

As Astrid made her way towards the entrance to the grand hall, her eyes briefly caught Nik's.

He was distracted, engaged in a conversation with Elijah and several other lords, toasting wine drunkenly.

He was clearly having a good time.

It was nice to see Nik so carefree, it was no secret he had been struggling since it had been revealed that he was not Mikael's true son, but a wolfman's, the same species that killed young Henrik.

Deciding to leave Nik to his business, Astrid turned on her heel, eyes narrowing in surprise when an arm linked through hers.

An intoxicated grin was laced onto Kol's face, it was clear he had drunk more wine than his body weight.

Shaking her head, she sent him an amused look. "Your drunk." She stated.

"That I am, sweet Astrid. But tell me, why are you not?" Kol inquired, grinning.

With Kol leading her away from the loud music, Astrid rolled her eyes. "Because Kol, I do not plan to blow our cover." She insisted.

Closing the large doors behind them, they were left alone in the hallway as Kol grinned. "Is that the case, darling?"

Using his strength to make her halt in her step, he held onto her forearms, leaning forward, his nose brushing against hers.

Surprised by his close proximity, Astrid gasped, her worried eyes darting to the wooden door her husband was stood behind. If Nik saw them like this...

"Or perhaps it's because Nik's got that annoying stick shoved up that beautiful behind of yours." He mocked, his breath stinking of strong ale.

Narrowing her eyes, offended by the comment, Astrid tried to free herself from his grip, though having been turned into a vampire before her, he was the slightest bit stronger.

Chuckling at her struggling, Kol shoved her forcefully into the wall, one hand laying on her cheek as he gazed down at her.

"Kol!" She protested.

Brown eyes fogged over with an unrecognisable emotion, the playful grin dropped from his lips as his fingers caressed her cheek.

Leaning forward, his breath fanned against her lips, nose once again bumping against hers as he met her gaze.