Chapter 50: Woosley Scott

ELEANORA'S POV
  I return to Magnus's place after meeting with Caspian, scowling. Father was no where to be found. The Geritch has disappeared.

  "You worry about those at the Institute, Ella," Caspian had said. "I'll deal with Father."

  Jem. I have a sickening feeling in my chest that Jem isn't going to get better.

  He will. Jem would get better. Cecily and Will would stop quarrelling. Gideon and Gabriel would find peace. Tessa and Jem would get married. Sophie will love Gideon as much as he loves her. Henry and Charlotte will have a happy ending and a beautiful baby boy. Bridget would stop singing.

  It has become a prayer. Ever since Cecily came. I keep repeating it in my head.

  I open the door to Woolsey's Scott's apartment at 16 Cheyne, and enter the house. Woolsey is sitting on a divan, seemingly having just walked out of the drawing room.

  "Magnus already has visitors," He says.

  I pull off my gloves, nodding. "I'll just have to interrupt, then."

  I move past him and walk straight into the drawing room.

  My eyes scan the room, and I see Will, Tessa and Magnus inside, talking to each other. My presence is unnoticed. The pain in Will's eyes isn't, though. I feel a certain jolt in my chest. Jem.

  "You helped us before," Tessa was saying. "We thought perhaps you could help again. You helped with de Quincey—and Will, with his curse—"

  "I am not at your beck and call," Magnus says. "I helped with de Quincey because Camille requested it of me, and Will, once, because he offered me a favor in return. I am a warlock. And I do not serve Shadowhunters for free."

  "And I am not a Shadowhunter," Tessa says.

  Woolsey chooses that time to enter from behind me, and he coughs loudly to get their attention.

  "How many visitors do you have today, Magnus? Next thing you know and maybe the Lightwoods would be showing up," Woolsey says sarcastically.

  I glare at him before walking further into the drawing room.

  "Ella is hardly a visitor. More like a come and go resident," Magnus says as I take a seat next to Will. Will turns to look at me as Woolsey and Magnus continue their light banter.

  The anguish in his eyes is palpable.

  "Are you hurt?" He asks softly, taking my hand.

  I shake my head, bringing a hand up to push back the damp strands of hair from his forehead.

  "What's wrong? What happened to Jem?" I ask.

  Will looks away, probably to hide the hurt he is feeling. "He has run out of yin fen. There is no more. I have searched everywhere."

  My breathing hitches. No.

  "I understand, Tessa, that you are to be congratulated?" Magnus suddenly says, and we both turn to face him.

  "I. . ."

  "On your engagement to James Carstairs."

  "Oh." She flushes, and her hand goes to her throat, where she always wears Jem's mother's necklace, his gift to her. "Yes. Thank you."

  "I would be happy to offer anything," Will says. "This time. Another favor, or whatever you wanted, for the yin fen. If it's payment, I could arrange—that is, I could try—"