Chapter 77

Wrote this shit on my phone so typos are like a thing

Third person pov

Ino wished she'd brought a camera to capture the moment Arron but on her glasses.

She took one look at Trexx and shrieked. Then she looked at Ino, and she shrieked again. It was the funniest thing Ino had ever seen, and she'd watched the man in the coonskin hat nail someone in the back of the head with a stiletto. Arron looked completely flabbergasted, sputtering out what seemed like they may be Welsh curse words. Trexx looked taken aback and deeply offended at first, but it didn't last long. He was quickly distracted by a light.

Arron spent five minutes gathering herself. It was fun to watch her take a deep breath only to lose it when she spotted something else in the shop. She'd turn to Ino with wide eyes, spitting out the Welsh word for it, closely followed by the English. When Ino would confirm the item was indeed what Arron thought it was, the dark haired girl would just... stare at her. As though looking for a lie.

Taking her outside was even better. Ino thought her dark-haired friend might scream, or start crying as she was assaulted by new sights. Without her glasses, Arron could only make out things a certain distance from her, and even then it was pretty fuzzy. Too close, and it would be blotchy. Too far, and it would be fogged. Now, she could see it all. The glasses sitting on the bridge of her nose had just opened a brand new world, all for her to see.

It took thirty minutes for the idea to occur to Arron. Ino watched with patient amusement, letting her friend drag herself and Trexx up and down the more familiar streets of Konoha. The blonde waited for it to strike her, and when it did, the look on her face was glorious.

"Shikamaru." Arron seemed the realize, turning to look at Ino. "Attractive?"

"What? Don't ask me. Go see if he's attractive for yourself." Ino grinned widely, making a shooing motions at her. Arron knew almost everyone as a blurry face. She thought that, maybe, that's why she hadn't recognized Coldwell. Her sight was probably was better back then, but now? She'd have had to really squinted to ever make the connection.

"See face..." Arron trailed off, frowning. "Hm, nervous."

"You don't seem nervous." Ino shrugged, though it was clear she was. Arron always talked in severely broken Japanese when nervous. Sure, her Japanese overall wasn't the best, but it was better than a few words cobbled together. Ino didn't think trying to calm her down and reassure her would help in this particular scenario, so the blonde decided to just go with it. Let Arron do whatever she was going to do.

Arron didn't say a word, instead frowning. Ino sighed.

"Don't you think he'd want you to see his face clearly?" Ino tried. Arron seemed to dwell on it for a good moment. She tilted her head from side to side as she considered her friend's words. Trexx grumbled something about the sun. It was a quiet five seconds.

Arron grunted, and took off at a brisk walk without warning. Ino followed with no complaint, wondering how she'd gotten here. Had you told her a few months ago she'd be following around a spunky, traumatized girl, and her shadow monster who seemed to have some sort of vendetta against the sun, she wouldn't have ever believed them. Now? Now it seemed like the most normal and natural thing in the world.

The Nara compound was not far, as they never ventured out into the village too deeply. Arron trudged up, soaking up the compound as she did so. She almost looked unsure that it was the right house for a moment, but turned to the roof. Ino followed her gaze to the rooster-themed, silver weathervane sitting at the top. The sun reflected brightly off it. That's how Arron had been identifying the Nara house?

She all but slammed the door open, nearly running face first into Yoshino. Arron let out a shriek of surprise, backpedaling as she stared at her with wide eyes. Ino stepped in not a moment later, eyes going from the shocked and mildly-startled Yoshino, to Arron, who'd backed herself up against a wall. The blonde couldn't blame her. She was seeing all these faces for the first time. They had to be unfamiliar.

"Stranger danger." Arron insisted. Trexx tilted his head like a curious dog.

"Arron?" Yoshino asked, and the girl faltered. "You got glasses?"

"She's like, super blind. That's why she looks so, uh... Scared. She really couldn't see your face before." Ino explained as she closed the door. Arron's eyes scanned the area, catching on anything particularly colorful or shiny. There really wasn't much, honestly, but she relaxed a little.

"Yoshino? We heard screaming." Shikaku stepped in, his eyes coming to rest on the awed Arron. "She got glasses? Don't tell me she couldn't see before."

"Shikaku-san?" Arron looked baffled. Completely and totally lost. "Not as ugly as I thought!"

Yoshino and Ino both tried, and failed, to hold in their laughter as Shikaku deadpanned. Arron didn't seem to realize how backhanded her "compliment" was. She instead switched between looking at Yoshino and at Shikaku. Ino wasn't sure if she was trying memorize their faces or just amazed by them. Perhaps it was a little off both. Ino was almost envious in a way, smiling as Arron got to see the world for the first time. It had to be amazing.

"I heard something about glasses?" Shikamaru entered the room with Mothball in his arms, and Noot on his heels. He looked alright, if not a little tired from some of his father's last-minute training. Ino and the two Nara clan heads watched eagerly as the boy's eyes landed on Arron, who was gaping at him. His eyebrows shot up.

"She got glasses?" His gaze flickered to Ino. "How bad is her vision?"

"This is the first time she's seeing your face." Ino provided, grinning. Shikamaru seemed to blanch a little at that, gaze moving back to Arron. Her eyes combed over every inch of him. Shikamaru felt almost like he was being dissected in a way. His cheeks began to heat, and he wanted to crawl in a hole and die. What if she didn't like him anymore? Now that she could see, she could distinguish between attractive and not. God forbid she ever meet Sasuke.

Arron approached him, peering closer up at his face. Shikamaru leaned back slightly as she looked closely at his face. He felt a few beads of fresh sweat for on his brow. His parents and Ino were snickering, but he couldn't find it in himself to glare at them. His eyes were locked onto Arron's as she observed him. Knowing she was just now really seeing him for the first time was... Odd.

Arron turned to Ino to give her diagnosis. Ino held her breath in anticipation as Arron took a deep breath. They all watched her search for the right word. Shikamaru looked like he'd just taken an exam that would determine whether he loved or died, and now he was being forced to watch as it was graded.

Arron suddenly lit up, slamming her fist into her palm.

"Hot!"

Ino burst out laughing, and Shikamaru dropped Mothball in surprise, his face going red. Shikaku bellowed out a chuckle of his own. All Yoshino could really do was gape in surprise at Arron's bold claim. The girl seemed undeterred by her admission, leaning down to swipe up Mothball before Noot could try swallowing him again.

And then there was Trexx. He was just glaring out the window, at the sun.