Chapter 52: The Lightwood Brothers

ELEANORA'S POV
"Scones?" Tessa says incredulously.

Sophie's mouth twitches into a smile. She is down on her knees before the grate with a rag and a bucket of soapy water. "You could have knocked me into a cocked hat, I was that startled," she confirms, and I want to slap Gideon on the head. "Dozens of scones. Under his bed, all gone hard as rocks."

"My goodness," Tessa says, sliding to the edge of the bed and leaning back on her hands, glancing at me.

"And you were angry?" Tessa asks.

"Of course I was! Making all that extra work for me, carrying the scones up and down stairs, and then hiding them like that-I shouldn't be surprised if we end the autumn with mice."

Tessa nods, and I refrain from laughing. "But isn't it a bit flattering that he went to such lengths just to see you?"

Sophie sits up straight at Tessa's words. "It's not flattering. He is not thinking. He is a Shadowhunter, and I am a mundane. I can expect nothing from him. In the best of all possible worlds, he might offer to take me as a mistress while he marries a Shadowhunter girl."

I gape, looking at Sophie.

"Soph!" I exclaim. I lower my voice. "Gideon is one of the best people I know. He loves you. I can tell. I've known him for about four years."

"No," Sophie says, looking back down at her red, work-roughened hands. "It is better that I never entertain the idea. That way there will be no disappointment."

"I think the Lightwoods are better men than that," Tessa offers.

Sophie brushes her hair back from her face, her fingers lightly touching the scar that bisects her cheek. "Sometimes I think there are no better men than that."

~

"Gabriel," I say gently.

He simply shakes his head. "You could have told me sooner."

"I treat you like a Brother! Like a parabatai even!" I exclaim.

"You knew how I felt about you," Gabriel argues.

I look away in shame. "Gabriel, I love Will."

Gabriel exhales. "I know. Though I don't see what you find so special about him."

I roll my eyes and look at him finally. "We're still best friends right?"

Gabriel looks at me and smiles-though it seems difficult. "Of course. Can we pretend this never happened?"

I let out a breath of relief. "Yes. Thank you."

Gabriel embraces me.

~

I want to scream. I knew that when I heard Will's voice coming from the weapons room, "Not you. Gabriel Lightworm over here. Sorry. Lightwood."

I wince mentally.

"Whoever has been tutoring your sister in swordplay has imparted many bad habits. I was merely endeavoring to help." That's Gabriel, of course.

"I told him it was all right," Cecily's voice now, probably saying that to annoy Will.

I growl in frustration. "Oh for goodness sake-"