Prologue (Updated 7/31/2023)

Dipper Pines was 12 years old when his life changed forever.

A breathtaking experience exploring an abandoned alien ship and saving his mentor had left him feeling tired but anxious for more. The summer was winding down to an end, but he had the opportunity for an apprenticeship that would start right away. He was grateful that someone had finally acknowledged his skill, acknowledged how brave he was and how hard he had been working to build himself up. Sure, Ford had always been kind of aloof, very tough with him, but it came from a place of love and worry. He was sure that after today, after his successes, Ford would warm up to him in no time. He was smart, capable, and almost a teenager!

He just wanted to go home, talk to his sister, and finish planning out the menu for their birthday party next week. And maybe take a shower, but that could wait until tonight.

But of course, unaware that his walkie talkie had transmitted his whole conversation, Dipper Pines walked towards an angry sister sitting in a cold house. And Mabel Pines, who was far too angry and afraid to sit still and wait for her brother, plotted her next moves carefully. A few more days of summer was all she needed, but she didn't know how to get it. Just a little more time with her brother before they got separated for the school year. Thinking back, she can hardly remember spending any time with him since Ford's arrival. They had never been so distant with one another before, so alone...

Dipper gets home. The argument that ensues is ugly, one full of hateful spitting words. It's one that neither twin will remember afterwards, so impulsive and adrenaline filled that it was. It doesn't matter, it's the catalyst in almost every universe, and in this one it sets off a spiraling chain of events.

A girl meets a man with yellow eyes, and instead of being tricked, she gives in. She knows who he is, knows the mannerisms, but she shakes his hand for just a few more days of summer. A bubble of her own mind, desires and wants mixed with a sort of hysteria, overtakes her and suddenly she's asleep.

A boy stands with his mentor, watching the sky tear itself open, listening to the horrible distorted cackle as Bill takes his physical form and unleashes his nightmares. He looks up at his uncle, his mentor, and sees nothing but grim determination.

And Bill?

Bill is having the time of his life, and it's only going to get better from here.