■ TWENTY ■

■ TWENTY ■

Blinking my eyes open, I took a moment before confusion washed over me. A startling shriek erupted my thoughts and my hand smashed down onto my alarm clock, making me sit up and stare at my familiar bedroom.

How the hell did I get home?

Pressing my hands down onto the mattress, I went to lift myself out of bed but a sharp pain shot through my right hand. Lifting it to my face, I saw a scar and what seemed to be a healing wound. When did I hurt myself?

I got out of bed and the world seemed to spin. Thinking a shower would help refresh me, I turned on the taps in the bathroom before jumping in and showering.

My apartment looked fine, nothing different about it. As I padded into the kitchen, I checked the fridge and slammed it closed as the smell of off food met my nose. I then spent half the day, cleaning my fridge and getting dressed. I grabbed my car keys from their usual spot and locked my apartment door behind me as I walked towards the elevator.

I waited for the ding and walked in. Feeling a muscle in my neck pull, I reached up to rub the sore tender muscle. My car was in it's usual parking spot and I frowned as a weird feeling washed over me.

Climbing in, I started the car and drove out of the underground parking lot, heading for the nearest market. The streets were closed for the market as people wove in and out of traffic, and I parked as close to the markets as I could.

Climbing out of the car, I locked the doors behind me as I joined the wandering crowd as they wandered through the brightly coloured tents. I stopped by the fresh food and picked out some carrots to buy.

Handing the cash over, I smiled at the young boy that held his hand out with my change. Pulling my hand back, my elbow knocked into a huge watermelon and the fruit fell from the stand and rolled across the ground before coming to a stop at a pair of boots.

Raising my eyes, a beautiful man belonged to those boots and I tried not to stare at him. "Sorry" I said to the boy as I walked over to the watermelon.

The man bent down and picked up the melon. "I assume you would like this" he said, his voice like chocolate and caramel.

"Yeah, sorry about that" I said, actually apologetic.

"Don't apologise," he replied.

He must be from out of town because I had never seen him before as his skin was much more paler than those that lived in this town. He held out the melon and I took it. "Thank you" I said, giving him a smile.

I noticed his silver eyes and wondered if it were actually possible for a beautiful man to have even prettier eyes or if they were just contacts. Turning, I put the melon back on the stand. "Thanks" the boy said.

I turned around quickly to ask the man his name but he was gone. I craned my neck to look for the tall figure in the crowd but I couldn't see him. Shaking off the weird feeling, I kept walking around the market, buying fresh fruit and vegetables to replace the rotten ones I'd thrown out today.

The last shop assitant thanked me before turning away to deal with another customer as I turned around and saw the mysterious tall man, standing in front of a book stall.

He seemed as though he belonged there with the old books in his hand. I glanced at the title before walking over to him. "Wuthering Heights, a classic" I mused, sidling up beside him.

The man stiffened for a moment. "I didn't catch your name" I said, my hands gripping the bags of vegetables in my hands 

Slowly the man turned to face me, he held himself with such authority and ruggedness that somehow worked for him. "Miles King" he said, holding out his hand.