Chapter 13

Ok, I lied. This part makes even less sense than the last chapter did. But I must admit, I think this may be my best part yet! Its so long XD

Enjoy ;)

-NightSong

The three children looked at each other. Finally they had made it through the endless fog, and reached their destination. Said fog had lifted, leaving the grass and trees dripping. Shan smiled, though her back ached from where she had smacked it. Frederik looked nervous, but Leo made a thumbs up. He leaned casually against a tree, looking heroic. At least until a branch dumped a fair amount of water, effectively sending him spluttering and queuing Shan to stifle giggles. Frederik just smiled, looking uncertain. She could tell that he was still freaked from the transformation. Shan had only caught the end, waking fully as her brother fainted beside her. She had always been the daredevil, anyway. He was the drawer, and the worrier, and the protector. He hadn't seen all the odd things she had. Like, there was that one time a worker accidentally stabbed Miss Vespa in the butt, and then she led a chase that ending with a naked, pie-covered 3 year old. That memory never grew old.

Despite her brother's worries, she quickly grew to trust Leo. Maybe it was his demeanor, or maybe it was just the fact that he felt no shame while staggering around a wet forest, half-blind.

The spectacle ended when the boy ran smack into Frederik, shoving his feet up against the tree and bringing them both down into the muddy slop.

Still, not a hint of a blush appeared. Frederik was really another story.

Shan's cheeks puffed up, her face turning bright red in a desperate attempt to not laugh.

Leo started first, whipping his hair out of his eyes and flashing a crooked smile. His eyes crinkled at the corners, and he laughed, falling backward into the mud, splashing more up onto an already spluttering Frederik.

Eventually, their faces cooled, and their smiles faded reluctantly. By silent agreement, Leo stood first and walked into the clearing. When nothing jumped at his face, he turned around, spreading his arms wide-as if saying look it's all fine!

Frederik stifled a scream. Shan just jumped with a sharp wimper. Leo laughed and pulled the very real-looking, very giant fake, red bug from his face.

Frederik's hand immediately jumped to his shoulder, seeking the help of his lizard friend. Leo spotted the gesture, and his playful smile faded. His arms dropped, as did his face.

With a sigh, he stuffed the bug into his pocket and walked into the clearing. Shan sprung to her feet, leaving her brother staring between his empty hand, and the boy he just didn't recognize.

The trio cut a path through the clearing. This time, it didn't look quite as beautiful. The grass seemed to reach out to grasp their ankles, and the little flowers snarled, and the trees angled sideways.

The small cottage looked practically abandoned. Or more abandoned. The air was sharper, with a stronger bite of metal.

Shan looked at Frederik. Frederik looked at Leo. Leo looked at the door. And they all stood there. No one seemed eager to make the first move. The silence had become pervasive, the kind that isn't nice anymore, just lonely and a little scary.

No one had anything to say.

It may have gone on forever; not Leo, who would usually be the first. Not Shan, who was always curious. Not Frederik, who may have done it just to protect his sister. Or maybe just to stop them staring at each other.

Those times are a little odd. Times when nothing awkward prompts silence, but it seems wrong to say anything, and wrong not to. Those times where the words can be shaped and tasted on one's tongue, and yet they swallow it back like bile.