8: Friends, I Guess

When the bell signaling that the forty-five minutes of first period were over rang, I set my pencil down with a clatter. I rub my temple tiredly in an attempt to rid myself of the ache behind my eyes. I can only hope I won't need glasses.

A small voice brought me back to the present, "Umm..." I turn in the direction of the voice and see a small girl standing next to my desk. I recognize her as the student that was sitting next to me during class, and instantly thought she was like a bunny rabbit. Her hair was strawberry blonde with a few streaks of light pink running through. She stood next to my desk clad in a large knit sweater and a pair of rough black shorts reaching her knee, her fingers nervously fidgeting through her sleeves.

The bunny-like girl stared at me with nervous wide brown eyes hidden behind a pair of red glasses. "Um," she repeated. I raise an eyebrow curiously. An embarrassed blush appeared on her cheeks as she stood there. After an uncomfortable moment, she swallows and suddenly sticks out hand.

"Hi my name's Rosemarie but you can call me Rosie it's nice to meet you!" She rushes out quickly. I blink in surprise before slowly taking her outstretched hand. "North," I say slowly, unsure. Rosie stops for a moment and looks at me in confusion. "Huh? So you're from up north?"

I smile slightly. This was one of the most common reactions I get. "Not exactly. My name is Northern, but please call me North." Her cheeks flush the color of roses as she quickly looks down at her shoes. After a moment, I awkwardly clear my throat and ask, "So, Rosie, can you help me find my next class?"

She perks up and gives me a wide smile. "Of course!" She said happily. She skips over to the door and patiently waits as I pick up my stuff and follow her. "What's your next class?" She asks as we walk out into the busy hallway. I struggle to hear her over the constant chatter of the other students, and soon find it hard to follow her.

Rosie takes notice of this and timidly takes a hold of my sleeve, ensuring I wasn't going to get lost. "What's your next class?" She asks again. I mentally curse myself for my forgetfulness. How can she take me to my second period if she doesn't know where to go? I hold up a finger and begin to dig into my pocket.

I take out the folded piece of paper and quickly unfold it, scanning the printed words. "Um, English with a Miss Heffle?" Rosie grinned widely and she seemed to radiate a happy light. "Really?" She asks, and pulls me along a little faster. "That's my class as well!" I couldn't stop the small smile on my face as I watched her burst with shy enthusiasm. At least I have someone I know in this class.

"That's coming from a kid labeled as a loner everywhere he goes." Morrigan's voice cuts through my thoughts.

"Shut it. I might be a loner, but that doesn't mean I like being alone with a talking cat for my only company," I practically growl at her. I sense her slight shock, then hear her growl before going silent with a humph. I smile slightly in amusement. Making her angry was just too easy sometimes.

Paying attention, Rosie had expertly weaved us through the hallways, avoiding bumping into people and getting swept away with the crowd. She cut through the crowd, tugging me along, into a nearby classroom that I guessed to be Miss Heffle's room.

The students talked loudly, each competing over the other to try and hold their own conversations. Sitting at the desk in the front was a young teacher who, despite all the noise, was reading a book intently, ignoring all the chaos happening around her.

The teacher was young, I guessed her to be right out of college. Her short black hair was pulled back from her face with a clip so she could read the thick book in her hands. I wouldn't have thought she was alive if it weren't for the occasional turn of a page, or raising a hand to push up her circular glasses.