~Nick~

I don't know what it is. But there is something about her that makes me uneasy. I don't like the way she makes me feel.

When I see her smile, it makes me smile. And it's rare that I see her smile. Normally she's either frowning or she just looks worn out.

Maybe spending these next few days with her isn't going to be the best idea I've had. But I'm desperate at this point.

I need to come up with something for this "new project" I told the Johnson's about. I need this company. I don't have anything else.

The only family that talks to me is my sister Gigi. Everyday she calls me, begging me to come home.
Every year she begs me to come for her birthday. And every year I stay home.

My father disowned me once I decided to open my own tech company, instead of work for him. And my mother is so submissive to him, that she doesn't do anything without his approval.

My sister is the only link I still have to my mom. And even she's beginning to give up on me.

My phone rings pulling me back to the present. I look down at my screen and see my sisters name.

After the third ring I answer the phone.

"Hey Gigi."

"Hi Nicky! How was work?"

My sister always listened to me rant for hours about how shitty my job was, and even though I hated it. I loved it at the same time.

"It wasn't bad today. The investors are threatening to pull out if I don't get a new product by this weekend. I have to present it to the gala on Saturday."

"Saturday as in three days from now?"

"Yes"

I hear her take an intake of breath.

"Well that sucks. They couldn't give you more time?"

"The Johnson's said that if I didn't do it by then I was done."

Gigi is silent for a while before she finally speaks up again.

"Maybe that wouldn't be such a bad thing Nicky. I mean you don't have a life anymore. You put in so much money, time and effort to your job and that company. Maybe you should step back, I mean you have more than enough money"

I roll my eyes.

Gigi was supportive but she always tried to get me to give up my company. But I can't, I've tried, but I can't.

"Gigi, I know you worry about me, but I'm fine. I have it under control. Don't worry sis."

She lets out a deep breath and remains silent.

""So I guess since you have to go to this gala, you won't be coming to my party this weekend?"

Party? What party?

"I mean I only turn twenty-one once." She adds with a forced chuckle.

My eyes widen.