It was always you

"This is the last box." Chris informed me setting a huge box down in the middle of my – excuse me – our living room. The middle of the living room was the only place left to put the box. Chris had moved all of his belongings from his LA house to Boston. 75% of it was in storage or at his mom's house. We were coming to the realization that my house was too small. Or he would need to get rid of a lot of stuff.

"This house isn't going to work." I frowned stepping over a box.

"I'll get rid of some stuff. We'll make it work." He shrugged.

"Do you want to get rid of stuff? I love my house. And it was perfect when it was just me. Maybe we should look for something bigger."

"Ms. Lockwood, are you trying to buy a house with me?" Chris grinned stepping closer to me his arms encircled my waist and his lips graced my neck.

"No, we can rent." I replied quickly. "I'm not saying we both need to have our names on the house-"

"Shhhh." He laughed kissing me quickly, "If you're ok with moving I would love to buy a house with you."

"Yeah?" I asked with a smile looking up at him.

"Absolutely."

"Ok, we can start looking. The sooner the better." I looked around at the pile of boxes making my small house appear much smaller. "So you remember my cousin Sydney? And her boyfriend Mike?"

"I do."

"They got engaged and are getting married in August. I'm in the wedding and I don't know if you'll be in town but-"

"I'll be there." He kissed my forehead.

"Are you sure? There will probably be a lot of pictures and you know paparazzi will get them if there's word you're at a wedding."

"I don't care." He shrugged. "The most important thing to me is you."

"Ok." I bit my lip with a smile. "I love you. I sure lucked out."

"I love you too."

August came and with it a brand-new house for Chris and me. We found a beautiful home that was between his mom's and my parents. It was way more than I would ever consider spending or could afford on a home but Chris spared no expense on as he said 'our forever home.'

"Forever home?" Kirsten was helping me unpack yet another box of dishes in my brand new kitchen. Chris was in California but would be home that weekend for my cousins wedding.

"Yeah he called it our forever home." I stacked another plate in the cupboard.

"He's basically proposing Bree."

"No, he's not." I laughed. "Some people live together and never get married." I pointed out.

"Do you want to get married?"
I nodded.

"Does he?"

"I think." I shrugged, "I don't know."

"What if he doesn't?" She asked. "Would you be ok with that?"

"I don't know." I frowned. "We didn't talk about it. We just talked about being together and buying a house."

"How do you not talk about marriage Breelan?" Kirsten knitted her eyebrows.

"I don't know. I just take it one day at a time."

"You just bought a house with the guy. I think it's time you talk about whether marriage is on the table or not."

I nodded, "Will do. Thanks." I laughed.

That weekend we drove to Newbury for Sydney and Mike's wedding. The wedding was Saturday evening so we decided to drive up Friday night to make a whole weekend of it staying at a beach house . The wedding was on the beach at Plum Island and our beach house was within walking distance. Saturday afternoon I was standing in front of the full-length mirror in the bathroom adjusting the halter neck of my sunset orange knee-length bridesmaid dress.

"Wow." I heard Chris say. I spun around and smiled at him.

"Do I look ok?" I asked tousling my hair. I had soft waves falling to my shoulders, pinning my side swept bangs back. I had a little bit more makeup than I usually wear, for the photos.

Chris didn't answer and it made me self-conscious.

"That bad?" I joked trying not to cringe.

"No," He finally spoke shaking his head a little, "Sometimes I'm just amazed by how beautiful you are."

I blushed as he crossed the room taking my hand in his he spun me around.

"That dress was made for you Bree." He gave me another look over before kissing me gently.

"You don't look so bad yourself." I admired his casual navy blue slacks, white dress shirt and gray jacket.

"I was hoping you could help me with my tie." He held it up.

"Of course." I took it from his hands and slipped it over his head.

He was watching me intensely as I took my time tying his tie.

"Breelan." His voice was low but steady.

"Hhhhmmm." I murmured concentrating on getting his tie just right.

"Will you marry me?"

"What?" I stopped with his tie my eyes raising to meet his striking blue ones.

"Will you marry me?" He asked again.

"Are you really asking me?" My hands dropped from his tie.

He nodded with a small smile. "I've been wanting to ask you. I've been thinking of a million different ways to do it. And I don't even have the ring with me-"

"You already have a ring?" I whispered.

He nodded, "Yeah, it's in my sock drawer. So I knew I had better ask you quick before you found it." He chuckled nervously.

I swallowed still staring at him.

"Bree?" He prompted me.

"Huh?" I asked in a daze.

"Will you marry me?"

I nodded as happy tears flooded my eyes. "Yes."

"You just made me the happiest man in the world." He grinned kissing me, he lifted me from the floor into his arms.