Nine

That night Estelle could not sleep. All she could think about was Severus' lips on hers. She had never kissed anyone like that before...her face was as hot as a volcano all night long as she kept thinking of it. When the next morning finally did arrive, Estelle was exhausted from lack of sleep. She sluggishly got out of bed, feeling the consequences of staying up like some kind of teenaged girl. She put her hair up, got dressed and anxiously waited in her office. It was too early to go to breakfast but she didn't know what else to do during the free time. So she sat at her desk, not really working, more like daydreaming and scribbling nonsense. As her face was red as a balloon and she had been drawing nothing important on a piece of parchment, Elio walked out of his own room. He looked wide awake and was freshly dressed and clear faced. 

Estelle looked up, forgetting he was there and that he still hadn't apologized. She found it surprising he was up this early, considering he typically slept till lunch most days. He stared at her, also surprised she was sitting out here this early.

She quietly gasped and hid the parchment she was scribbling on, using a Vanishing charm to make it disappear quickly before he could see what she was writing. The scribbles she had been drawing were random but there was one clear name. Severus. She internally facepalmed, cringing at herself for acting like such a little girl.

"Morning." Elio finally managed to say while he watched her panickily vanish a piece of paper. He was confused but didn't question her further on it.

Estelle inhaled, "M-Morning." She stuttered nervously and awkwardly, shifting in her seat.

Elio remained quiet, just staring at her. He twitched, seeming to struggle to go to where he was planning or stay and talk with her. His eyes kept going to the door and then to her, conflicted. Estelle noticed this and stood up, "It's okay. We can talk later." She told him, trying to make herself look busy as well and that she suddenly had other plans. He hesitated but smiled a small smile and left, leaving Estelle in the awkward quiet office. She sighed, sinking into her chair. She hated how things were now with each other, it was as if they were standing on thin ice whenever they were together. Her anger always burst out whenever she was with him, shaking her head at herself in annoyance, while in her chair.

After uselessly sulking in her chair for awhile, Estelle became aware of the time and realized she was now late for breakfast. Great. She ran over hastily and nervously, not sure what to expect. Would it be Severus and her talking or not talking about what happened last night? Or would it be awkward tension filled silence with her brother? She didn't know which was the better option or if she could handle either without dying. 

She walked into the already full Great Hall, the students already in the middle of eating and chatting away excitedly since Christmas was very soon. She walked the length of the hall while her heart pounded very quickly, and took her now spot by Severus who was already there. She sat down slowly and bit her lip anxiously and nervously. 

She peeked at Severus, but he seemed not to notice and quietly ate his breakfast as if she wasn't there. She frowned but instead peeked at Elio to make sure he was actually there. He was, and he was quietly having a discussion with Neville and didn't notice she was there either. Estelle sighed, not sure if this was what she wanted, for them both to ignore her. Her face heated up, feeling pathetic and maybe she was over thinking things? The kiss with Severus might have meant nothing to him and was simply something to do, she had no idea. Her heart squeezed at the thought, realizing it had meant something to her. She never would have kissed him back if she didn't like him but perhaps Severus would...? She didn't know him really, she sadly thought. 

Estelle quietly ate her breakfast with a sullen face, feeling a bit miserable. Even the beautifully decorated castle wasn't cheering her up as much. The Great Hall was currently decorated, apparently it was tradition to have 12 Christmas trees up around the Great Hall, the gamekeeper Hagrid put them up cheerfully the beginning of December. It was beautiful and for a lack of better words, quite magical looking. They really took their decorations seriously here at Hogwarts.