Chapter 49

If you LOVE this story and want to know when the latest chapter is up, follow me on Wattpad and add the story to your reading list. I update Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays!

______________

The travelers drove three days deep into the Sahara’s unforgiving sand dunes following the copies of the map Gedo had unearthed. Unfortunately for Kami, Gedo still insisted she remain with him. At least Yasmin had taken pity on her, though, and agreed to ride with her while Chris moved over to Haji and Liam’s vehicle.

They saw the mountains long before they reached the jagged peaks. The cliffs rose hundreds of feet, and looked like black teeth rising out of the sandy floor of the desert. They were formed of igneous rock, as though there had once been a lava spout that spewed great columns of molten rock high into the air where they cooled and formed into rocky monoliths. Kami silently prayed that they wouldn’t need to climb them to rescue her Neina.

The group stopped the vehicles to survey the scene while still far enough away to remain concealed. There had been a large river here once, and perhaps even a lush valley. Now all was barren and devoid of life. An even greater mountain range loomed in the far distance where dark clouds gathered.

The cave was not hard to spot near the bottom of one of the toothy mountains. At least that was a relief—no cliff climbing today. Samuel peered into his binoculars and told the group that it was approximately thirty feet wide and a perfect circle at the base of the mountain. There were no piles of debris or loose rocks like those that lines the mouths of most caves. Nature had not made this hole. The mouth was so black that it seemed to absorb all light.

This had to be the Shadow Queen’s lair. It was strategically placed—well concealed and protected by the harsh environment. It would be difficult, if not impossible, to approach it undetected. Night would soon be upon them, which might help cloak their approach. But it would be risky.

The landscape was scarred with holes. They watched from a distance as men and women in tattered clothes tore into the earth around the cave with shovels, pulling bones from the ground and throwing them into a pile with an indifference that infuriated Gedo.

“Those barbarians are mangling the remains with those shovels,” he’d groaned. “They are mixing the bones. Have they no sense of appreciation for history? How does she expect me to sanction this?”

“From what I understand, she left you no choice,” Samuel said.

“But why a pile of bones?” Yasmin said. “Does it have anything to do with the shadow creatures?”

This was, of course, a hypothetical question that no one had the answer to, not yet anyway.

They argued over the best way to sneak in undetected. It had split the camp. Gedo, Yasmin and Kami thought they should stay together. Samuel, Chris, Haji and Liam had argued that one should go in first and then report to the others.

“I think I should go in,” Chris said.

“You broke into the police station,” Liam argued. “I’m not going to just sit here and let you take all the risk.”

“But I can see—”

“No offense, Chris, but what does that matter? We can safely assume anyone here is under her influence, whether directly or indirectly. Besides, I’m just scouting it out. I’ll be in and out before you know it.”

“But if you run into any shadow creatures—”

“Then you’ve taught me what to do.”

“I still say we should go in together. There would be more people to handle a shadow creature that way,” Kami said.

“We can safely assume there are several shadow creatures. If we all go and get wiped out, no one has a shot. If one of us goes first and doesn’t come back, there’s still a chance to save those captured,” Liam said.

They finally settled on the latter idea, but it had taken Liam a while to convince them he was the one who should scope things out.

The others reluctantly agreed to the plan, all except Kami, who kept her eyes averted and said nothing. It frustrated Liam. He wished she would look up. Maybe he could read in her eyes what her lips wouldn’t say. He wanted to know what she was thinking, feeling. Ever since the conversation that first night by the fire, things had completely changed between them. The resistance was gone, replaced by a sweet sort of trust that Liam found endearing. Oh, she was still feisty of course, still teased him mercilessly, but that wary edge had disappeared. Now it looked like her wall was up again.

They were treated to a spectacular desert sunset, a glowing wash of golds and reds. As the sun died and darkness encroached, Liam slipped into his tent to gear up. He had his laser saber, of course, but he also strapped an assortment of knives to his body. He hoped to slip in and out undetected, so he wouldn’t have to use the weapons. If the shadow creatures or a group of infected humans cornered him, he wouldn’t stand a chance alone.

Liam heard a noise at the tent door and looked up to see Kami’s illuminated form and face. He stood in a fluid motion and walked toward her. He drank in the sight of her. She was so lovely, standing there, her luminous eyes searching his. He felt drawn to her. He remembered what her hair felt like in his hands, the sweetness of her breath, her touch. More than anything, he yearned to draw her close and feel her soft lips against his, to feather her face in kisses. But he remembered, and he stopped. A friend—that’s what she needed. And his thoughts were straying wildly from the type of thoughts a friend should have.

Get a grip, he told himself. She needs her space.

“Do you want something?” he asked, his voice unsteady.

She shook her head.

“I just need to say,” Kami paused, her eyes and voice conveying a myriad of emotions. She struggled to speak, then squeezed his hand. “Be safe.” Then she slipped away.

It wasn’t what all she meant to say, he was sure of it. He wondered if she’d ever get past her fears enough to speak openly.

Liam shook his head. He needed to focus. There were lives at stake here. The group was counting on him. He slid the last knife in place and left the tent.

If you enjoyed this, please hit that star and vote!

The dedication for this chapter goes out to a wonderful reader and long-time friend  @carriechidester! It has been absolutely delightful having you read along. Thanks Carrie!