Chapter 4

Petir's discomforts pestered Api's mind every waking second. Despite being a stranger to her, he was determined to pursue this mystery, even if he might get smacked in the face with a sword if he did so. But Api being Api, he devised subtle plans that would unveil true nature of Petir.

Angin and Daun stopped by their apartment again. As Air taught Daun gymnastics at the park, Api informed Angin of his current predicament in their room. Angin was deeply intrigued, and thus the both were now a team.

"Do you think those are just candy?" Angin suggested.

Api exploded in laughter. "Why would those be candy? She broke a cup for god's sake!"

"It could be an accident," Angin argued. "You broke Air's alarm."

"She threw it at me!"

"Could've fooled me." Angin kicked his legs up in the air. "Do you think it's that time of the month?"

Api hummed. "Could be! Air complained about it!"

"But what's that time of the month though? What does it mean?"

Both of them descended into endless confusion of the definition of "that time of the month."

"Let's just ask Air," Api relented.

Angin nodded.

Both of them cheerily skipped towards the park, asked Air regarding the topic, and got a rock thrown at each of their foreheads. They scrapped that idea after applying ointment on their bruised foreheads.

Of course, they weren't going to give up that easily. They went to the point of analysing the bottle itself from Api's memory, and the only solution they could provide was a M&M's chocolate tube that had paper wrapped around it. Maybe Petir adored chocolate and didn't want to share. The idea itself was enough for Daun's face to meet her palm.

"Well," Angin slurred, "that's a no."

Air's eye twitched. "And pray tell why someone would pull that stunt?"

Following Angin's request, Api brought him to the gym per his club's membership privileges. Compared to Api, Angin was scrawny, which led to Angin's sudden optimism of working out.

Even if this was an upper-body focusing gym, Angin hung by the equipment that was meant for legs and stamina. For someone who isn't as strong as Api, Angin had beaten him on the treadmill. By the time Angin was exhausted, Api was knocked out like a light.

Humiliated, Api challenged Angin to lifting weights. He won by a landslide, because Angin could barely keep a ten-kilo barbell up for ten seconds. That's when they realized that their stamina and strength were severely unbalanced and focused on their weak spots. Angin trained his arm strength as Api thrived to increase his stamina.

Days passed and Petir's mystery had been nullified. With a new training buddy, he was doing better in studies and physically. It was like they were meant to be brothers all their lives. With Api's request, Angin tagged along to their after-school study group.

"Great," Cahaya groaned. He glared at the two screaming balls of optimism struggling to do algebra. "Why did we agree to this?"

"The snacks are great!" Angin whooped.

Tanah smiled. "Well, it won't hurt, right?" His expression turned deadly. "I'll make Petir not kiss you in your life if you don't help."

Cahaya shuddered and snapped back to his homework. Api and Angin wondered why the atmosphere had suddenly became chilly.