11 : I See Lace

"Since when was this a thing?"

"It's not," Sylv and I say in unison.

"Seemed pretty legit five seconds ago."

"Well it's not. So don't make it into something," Sylv growls.

She pauses, changing expressions into a teasing, blue eyed demon. "Looks like a bit of a secret to me. Wait... how long has this been going on? Did you cheat on-"

"No –" I blurt out, "it was just one random kiss – in a really heated, tense moment because this is where we lost someone important to us. It meant nothing," I make up on the spot.

"I don't know if I believe that. I wonder what Avalon would think of you and her best friends boyfriend?" she pauses, innocently looking up at the snow.

I think about Avalon's face when she heard that Paige might have been murdered – the pure depression and pain. If she knew I did this to Paige... she would never forgive me. I would lose my two best friends. Something snaps inside me and I realise that nothing could be worse than losing Avalon now, after everything. Anxiety builds up in my stomach.

"It's kind of sick, really," she cringes. "If both of you cut it out and don't do this again... I'll keep this secret for you. I'd rather stop unnecessary drama then cause it."

I look to Sylv. Is she being real? Is she really giving us a way out of this? I didn't know Jess had such... abilities. "Serious?" I ask.

"I'm not a b*tch. I'll give you guys a chance to right your wrongs."

"Who are you to play judge? Shouldn't you mind your damn business?" Sylv snaps.

I nudge his shoulder.

"Here's the deal: you cut this off and I won't tell anyone about it," Jess offers.

"No deal," Sylv says, "stop acting like you know the f*cking definition of integrity."

Jess takes out her phone and goes through her contacts-

"I'll take it – Jess don't tell her, please."

"Gladly." She smiles, putting her phone in her pocket.

Sylv glances over at me with a look of betrayal. "Why are you even here?" he says to her.

"Avalon sent me to pick you up. She wasn't sure if you had a ride home after she dropped you here this morning."

"How thoughtful," he mutters.

"Anyways, I have places to be. So c'mon Sylv. Let's go," she says.

"No way – I'm staying with Rose."

"Go," I tell him.

He gives me the dirtiest look – like he hates me for leaving him again. But I walk to my moped and drive off before he has a chance to catch me or dig us both a grave.

.

.

.

My phone buzzes in my pocket. I take it out and sigh, reading Sylv's name on the lock screen. Two missed calls.

It buzzes again and I whip out my phone for the final time with the intention of blocking him. But it's not Sylv. It's Adrian Iris. He must have put his contact in my phone when I went for a shower. I really need to put a password on it.

I pull over on the side of the road and answer the call, taking off my helmet and brushing my hair out of my eyes. "Iris, what do you want?"

"Care to join me for dinner?"